Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

thoughts on my pronghorn hunt planing

PAGOAT

I'm thinking we are going to apply for a unit we will not draw then second choice an easy unit so we get a point and tag then left overs for doe. Now for when to hunt... Oct 1st is the first day Saturday, so leave Pennsylvania on Wednesday morning Sept 28th around 2:00 am drive the 27 hours with 3 of us rotating a nap. Scout Thursday evening and Friday to hunt the opening day. We'll then have 7/8 days to hunt and head home for work Wednesday Oct 12th.

So is this a normal plan for you guys in the east ? Any thoughts to make it better ?

Also should we try to get a deer tag while we're out there ?

Goat

I HIGHLY recommend stopping to sleep in hotel.You will feel much better when you get there.I would say 1 day of scouting is plenty and a 4 day hunt if just for antelope.If you have the extra days, then get a deer tag

I generally drive straight thru and overnight in a hotel in Casper. If alone I will pull over in a rest stop for a few hours to sleep. If my wife is along we go straight through. Either way, a good dinner, shower and bed are welcomed. We will then hit Wally World for last minute supplies and go set up camp.
For lopes, since the season is a month long, no need to get in early, lopes are relatively easy to locate and most of the hunting pressure is during the first couple days. I usually go the second or third week depending on my schedule. There is nothing wrong with your plan at all, just don't feel you have to be there before the first day. Not sure if this is your first trip or not but it definitely not like the first day here.
Depends on where you plan to go but there are deer to be had, just need to be realistic on your goals an expectations. PM me if you want more details, this fall will be my 6th trip for lopes in Wyoming.

I second the idea of stopping for a descent nights sleep. Unless you are used to such stuff, it will take longer to get over the drive than the eight or nine hours you stop. Also it's a lot safer.

If the unit you draw has limited access or has smaller chuncks of public with some distance to drive in between, then you should allow for a few extra days to hunt. The week may be plenty but better safe than sorry. The pronhorn will be hit or miss on smaller areas, so it will be involve some luck and good timing. They often seem to know where the private land is after a few days of gun shots. If there are some sizeable chunks of land to hunt, it will be a lot better.

If this is your first trip for pronhorns, I would skip the deer tag or just go with a doe tag. Or just grab some doe probghorn tags. Good luck.

Will you be processing the animals yourself? If not allow an extra couple of days for a processor to cut, package and freeze your animal. Locate a source for dry ice for the trip back home and make sure you have enough coolers for transport. The last few years there have not been too many leftover doe tags due to an increase in hunters coupled with some quota cuts in some units due to the last few bad winters they have had.
Good luck!

Last edited:
I have made the trip from NE Pa many many times. We typically leave Pa at 5am and motel sleep around midnite until 6am the next day and you should be in your area early afternoon to hunt. We have also left at 9:30 pm a few times and drove thru to cheyenne and then slept and hunted the next day at noon also. We have often budgeted 3 days for our lope hunts and then either hunted another species or moved to another state.

If your hunting in NE WY you can always bird hunt in South Dakota on your way back home. We typically antelope hunted later dates which gave more options as far as deer were concerned in Wy and Co

When I go with a group we drive straight through. One week to hunt and 51 weeks to recoup till next year. I like to go later in the season and not deal with people.
You should be able to get dry ice at the food stores or even Walmart.
Don't worry about long range shooting. The farthest shot I've ever taken is 330 yards just because I could

I HIGHLY recommend stopping to sleep in hotel.You will feel much better when you get there.I would say 1 day of scouting is plenty and a 4 day hunt if just for antelope.If you have the extra days, then get a deer tag

Nah, just sleep in the back until one of the drivers backs into another car in the middle of the night because someone is taking to much time in the toll booth. Cigs and 5 hour energy are your friend. Don't smoke? Start. It's a long boring drive........

Yes it will be our first time out, I'm sure the first legal pronghorn buck will get shot, we plan to debone them and dry ice in a cooler until we get home. First legal mule deer would be the same. I'm not a big horn hunter.

Goat

Yes it will be our first time out, I'm sure the first legal pronghorn buck will get shot, we plan to debone them and dry ice in a cooler until we get home. First legal mule deer would be the same. I'm not a big horn hunter.

Goat

If that's the case, why buy an expensive buck tag when you could have 4 doe tags for $122 less than that one buck tag. $286 compared to two doe draw tags for $96 and two leftovers for $68 ($286-$164=$122).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back