Yeti GOBOX Collection

Thanksgiving Pheasants

upper deck

I just got back to KS after spending a few days in North Dakota for Thanksgiving. It was a short vacation but I was able to get some Pheasant hunting in. I was also going to take out my two labs that became part of the family when I got married. I have to brag on them a little bit because they did an exception job. They had never be in a pheasant field before and every day they got better and better. By the end of the three days and 18 birds shot over them they really had this pheasant hunting figured out, a little more work with them and they will be tearing the pheasants up. The birds were pretty wild especially with the light winds.

Thursday Buschy headed out so spend Thanksgiving with my family and a day of Pheasant hunting with myself and my dad. It was great to catch up with Buschy again and spend a day chasing some ringnecks.

Fri I spend the morning hunting with my dad and had a great time and we were able to catch up with a few birds. You will see a couple birds with missing tail feathers and I can't blame it on the dog if I would have shot better they would have been dead before the dogs had to chase them down.

Sat I only had around an hour in the field and had some quick luck and ended up with a couple birds.

Here are some pics of the holiday weekend.

Attachments

• Pheasant 1 09 TG.jpg
    Pheasant 1 09 TG.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 164
  • pheasant 4 09 TG.jpg
    pheasant 4 09 TG.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 165
  • Pheasant 3 09 TG.jpg
    Pheasant 3 09 TG.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 166
  • Pheasant 7 09 TG.jpg
    Pheasant 7 09 TG.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 162
  • Pheasant 6 09 TG.jpg
    Pheasant 6 09 TG.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 167
  • pheasant 5 09 TG.jpg
    pheasant 5 09 TG.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 164
  • Pheasant 2 09 TG.jpg
    Pheasant 2 09 TG.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 167
Very nice!!! That looks like great bird habitat! Glad to dogs are 'earning their keep'! ;) I really need to convince my wife that I need a bird dog...

Here are a couple more pics of the dogs in action.

Attachments

• D and M Retreive 09 TG.jpg
    D and M Retreive 09 TG.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 155
  • Drake Retreive 1 09 TG.jpg
    Drake Retreive 1 09 TG.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 154
  • Drake grass 09 TG.jpg
    Drake grass 09 TG.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 156
  • drake retreive 2 09 TG.jpg
    drake retreive 2 09 TG.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 156
Great job guys. If ever those birds reach the level of nuisance vermin, let me know. I usually don't change people for the service of controlling such pests. ;)

Longbow to your point I am afraid that the CRP will begin to disappear at some alarming rates with the cash rent prices on land in todays day and age.

The one positive is with the wet conditions the last few years there is a ton of lowlands that the farmers cant work in the spring, so that leaves some decent cover for them.

Upper Deck:

I know that when corn prices shot up, some for the CRP ground was taken out of the program and put into production.

My mom in southeast Nebraska cash rents her ground and the guy that rents from her puts his personal ground into the CRP.

The guy who rents is pretty smart and frugal so there must be some logic to this method.

Maybe the Obamanation will make the CRP more lucrative; but I dought it since they want more ethanol used.

A couple of those cocks have some nice long tails.

We were able to catch up with a few older bird but we also did get some younger ones which is a positive sign.

I would like to see the states put something together to help keep some type of program to help the wildlife. The sportman bring a lot of revenue to these midwest states and I hope everyone realizes this and are working on some type of solution??????

Ryan,

Thanks for the hunt.

It was great spending time on the farm and teaming up on the birds as usual!!

You're right, the dogs did great . I also hit a couple birds that would have never been found if not for Drake and Max.

Now get out and put a big Kansas whitetail on the ground!!

Last edited:
After looking at the pics closer, what happened to Drake's tail?:confused: I see it's wrapped up. Did you get trigger happy and shoot him in the tail?:D

We really don't know how he cut it but we were sitting in the shop and all of a sudden blood was flying everywhere?

Back