Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Target practice prior to my visit

devon deer

Hi All,
I am used to shooting deer in the UK at ranges most commonly up to 200 yards but in relation to an Elk i appreciate we have a smaller target to aim at in the UK.
So what size target area should i be practicing on before i come over, and at what ranges?
Not long to go now so need to get this done.
Cheers
Richard

http://www.chuckhawks.com/kill_zone_game_animals.htm

This link has some good info. It says elk vitals are 14.5-15.5 inches in diameter, which is pretty close IMO. My furthest elk was shot at 365 yards and my closest (with a rifle) was barely 40. More often than not my shots are under 100 yards. I'd be ready to shoot 300 but the longer your effective range the better. Also practice from every position you can think of prone, off your pack, kneeling etc. I like to use stony point shooting sticks but be prepared to get versatile and shoot off whatever is present.

Last edited:
I'd say if you can keep all of your shots in a 10" circle out to 400 yards you're in good shape.

I agree with mtlion. I too carry Stoney Point shooting sticks when rifle hunting. I also have a spare one for when I am hunting with family and friends and used to carry them for my clients when I guided. Many clients usually had the PogPod, the Trigger Stick, or nothing, and after using mine, usually gave theirs to someone else in camp and left intending to buy the shooting sticks.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back