Talking to Biologist

Wapitifever

Hey all, new to the forum from bozeman, been a lurker for a while though. I had never thought about getting in touch with a wildlife biologist to help me with my scouting until I read some threads on here. Couple questions though. Who's the best biologist to deal with in the region 3 area? How do you usually start the conversation, by just asking where they've seen elk in a certain range or area?
Thanks
James

I am not sure who is responsible for that region, but it is usually posted on the fish and game website.

I have spoken with the wildlife biologist prior to every trip I have made out west. IMO, the best way to approach the conversation is to develop a plan and see what opinions they have on it. Other things to ask about: rutting patters, migration patterns, weather conditions, road status, ect. At the end you might ask the question "do you have any other ideas about where we might look", and you might get some little nugget you didn't have.

You have to be careful. If you ask a question like, "where is the best hunting in X unit?" you are going to get the same answer every other guy/gal did when they called.

A few years ago hunting in the Bighorns, WY, the biologist actually met us up on the mountain when we were out scouting a few days before season opened and pointed us in the direction of some nice bucks he had been seeing. Good guy, shot my biggest muley that year (the one next to my name).

I can't tell you about specific biologist but here's what I do. Tell them what/when I'll be out, ask about water sources, area's that tend to get a lot of pressure, roads, specific areas to avoid(if any), ask about any areas I already have in mind from looking at map/GE, winter kill and/or drought. I don't necessarily ask were the animal I'm hunting is as they'll typically tell you what they know about populations. I'm asking about the unit itself, terrain, roads, burn areas, hunting pressure, etc. From there I can then eliminate some areas I had already look at on map and/or look at new areas and make my plan(s).

Last edited:
Check out this link http://fwp.mt.gov/gis/maps/contactUs/

Click the button for "Wildlife Biologists" to the right and determine who you need to speak to.

From there I would call them and tell them that you are interested in hunting the area. The key is to have some knowledge of the area and ask pointed questions.

Such as "I was looking at hunting unit 3xx and specifically the "no tell 'em creek" drainage. It looks like it has food, water and shelter for elk and limited access roads.

If you have specific knowledge of an area based on your current map scouting they can be of better service. Simply asking, where are the elk at in unit 3xx isn't going to get you far.

How do you usually start the conversation/?
James

In my experience,the more knowledge you have,the more in-depth the conversation will be. If you just call the guy and he figures out that you haven't done your homework first,you're just gonna get the same old rundown that everyone else gets.
Also touch base with him and have him call you back when he has time. Folks are more talkative when they have plenty of time and aren't trying to multitask.

Region Three, the person you want to talk to is Julie Cunningham. She is very smart and knows her stuff.

Another thing to think about once you zero in on an area is to get a hold of the local Game Warden or National Forest Ranger. They can usually provide a nugget or two themselves.

Depending on what unit in Region 3 you are looking at will determine who to talk to. I would find some landmark areas that interest you to reference while talking to them. They generally know the movement patterns and can explain where a good spot to start is depending on when you re going hunting. MT has some very helpful biologists. I believe Julie handles HD 312 and some surrounding units so if that's where you are going she can help.

After one short conversation and 3 emails, my experience with a Montana biologist is 100% positive.

He gave me detailed information about locations, how weather will affect my hunt, wolf activity, and griz activity.

Basically, he filled all the gaps in my research.

May I suggest that you repay his kindness by letting the bio's supervisor know how pleased you are with the service provided. We want to reward good work and encourage more of the same.

Back