Sweet new knife!

MT_Fin

Most of you all know, but in case anyone missed it, a few weeks ago Backcountry Hunters & Anglers (BHA) had its National Rendezvous in Missoula MT, and though I spent the weekend busy volunteering/working I managed to get a walk through of all the booths and meet some great people. One of the vendors was Benchmade, and on top of having some of their great blades on display they we having a fantastic raffle as well. They were selling cards from a deck of playing cards for a chance to win a Kimber MT in 280ai, in addition to purchasing one of the 52 chances at an awesome rifle you also received a Steep Country Hunter with BHA logo on the blade. Best of all, all the money went to BHA!

So with a 1 in 52 chance at a Kimber, a sweet new knife for hunting season, and having essentially made a donation to a group in very active with I was pretty happy. I of course didn't win the rifle, but went home with this baby............

673D8CED-7F50-4978-9076-9ED3674AD91A_zps3fqznnwn.jpg

It's not as esthetically pleasing as the myriad of offerings in the knife world, but with S30V steel and non-slip bright orange grip and Kydex sheath it's pure function, and I'm excited to get it bloody this fall. I'm a Benchmade fan, and have been using Lone Wolf (Previous Benchmade line) knives and saws for hunting for a few years, and the more I get the more I like them.

Anybody have Benchmade HUNT knives they like?

I bought one as well and also didn't get the rifle. Really looking forward to putting the knife to use, I like the design of it a lot.

I bought one too, used it a couple of weeks ago shroom hunting. Hopefully, I'll get test it on a bear next week. I like the kydex option for the sheath and the notches on the top of the blade as I put my index finger up near the tip when I am opening the gut.

I bought one too, used it a couple of weeks ago shroom hunting. Hopefully, I'll get test it on a bear next week. I like the kydex option for the sheath and the notches on the top of the blade as I put my index finger up near the tip when I am opening the gut.

I agree, plus it's sized right. The trend right now with knife companies is bigger and badder but all a big knife does is remove the versatility and dexterity and add extra blade to cut yourself with if you're clumsy like me. Ha!

Looks like a tough knife. What kind of steel does it have? That is what makes it a good vs mediocre knife.

It has S30V steel; which IMHO is about the perfect sweet spot between taking an edge and keeping it for a long time. You can put a great edge on 420 HC, but it might only last through a deer. The survival knife I carry for work is D2 steel; which is as tough as it gets, but will never take a really good edge. S30V seems like it is just right. I have a Buck Vanguard (cabelas Alaskan guide) with upgraded S30v steel, and with a good edge it has gone through 4-5 animals, without any trouble.

I have been using a havalon for about 5 years now, but I will never go out without a decent fixed blade in my pack, and this one looks really nice.

I have been using a havalon for about 5 years now, but I will never go out without a decent fixed blade in my pack, and this one looks really nice.

Same here, while I use the crap out of my Havalon, from hunting to livestock to fine detail cuts for projects, I have snapped enough blades that I always want a fixed blade along.

I talked to the right guy at the right time and got one of those 52 at the rendezvous also. I'm excited to use it, it sure feels great in the hand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back