Yeti GOBOX Collection

Step by step, land agencies

First let me say that my home is well cleaned up and ready fo fire season. So I'm not adding to the problem. It is America and if you want to live in the city limits great, I dont and I still have the same rights as you. What you consider taking precautions to protect your home is nothing compared to what we do around here. We have forty-acres to take care of all year, which trust me between taking care of the horses and land, its a full time job in itself......As for being a scab, except for the short time I spent in Phoenix, I've been a scab my whole life. That is a direct reflection of where I choose to live. There is not a whole lot of Union jobs in rural America. I do however stay true to my word and will not work for a Rat Contractor doing my trade. I have had several job offers but when I found out what they are paying, I laughed and said No Thanks! Since being in MT I have managed to stay busy doing my own thing all summer and winter long, which from what I hear is a tough thing to do, but with my talents things just fall in my lap! ;) I personally am tired of doing the same old thing and yes will be fighting fires this summer. I already know you dont like this and would hope you encourage your employers to stop hiring scabs to do all your work. Remember the Idea of wilderness needs no defense. It only needs more defenders!...That is exactly what I'm doing this summer!

Beardown,

You'll have some great experiences fighting fires, more than likely. You'll find out how easy it is to "leech off the government" and in a hurry. Remember as you're playing pulaski motor for ten bucks an hour, with no benefits, no retirement, and no insurance, how big of a "leech" you are.

Glad to hear you have your home in a safer condition than most.

Theres lots of homes that will be toast.

Oh, and as to elkchsr, I'd like for you to post some of my quotes where I've even come close to using the type of language and/or graphics that you've used the last couple days. I havent seen anyone use the type of language that you've used since the days of Pug Doykin. Even he had more class than you....

Buzz,
How come you call it "fighting fires"? Isn't it just digging and pruning bushes? About like the crew of "Hispanics" I have out working in the yard around the Double Wide today.

How long until they don't even pay $10 an hour to these "contract" crews, and it is all just turned over to migrants? What portion is Indian or Mexican on the crews today?

Beardown,
So you are only a Scab if you work in your current trade, but if you switch to a Trade you are not trained in, then it is acceptable? That is funny logic....

Gunner not really, the last I checked in the union rules, as long as you dont do your trade then its O.K. to work outside the Union. I dont make up the rules , I just go with them! :cool: :cool:

You'll have some great experiences fighting fires, more than likely. You'll find out how easy it is to "leech off the government" and in a hurry.
This is why you stayed under the tit of the pig then...
Remember as you're playing pulaski motor for ten bucks an hour, with no benefits, no retirement, and no insurance, how big of a "leech" you are.
Unlike you who have lived your whole existance and sucked your retirement from...LOL that is one of the more hippiecriticle things I have heard...
Come on now Jizz, you need to come up with better crap than this drivel... :rolleyes:
Oh, and as to elkchsr, I'd like for you to post some of my quotes where I've even come close to using the type of language and/or graphics that you've used the last couple days. I havent seen anyone use the type of language that you've used since the days of Pug Doykin. Even he had more class than you....
What's wrong Buzz, I have only taken it to the same level, Why should I use the same laungage as you to get my point across... I have posted in the past your foul posts, word for word, I am not stooping to that now, every one has seen it and I don't have to rehash the truth of what every one knows... Your going to tell me that it is because of your sweet posts and pleasent demeaner that has chased off so many out of the SI section... :rolleyes: Give me a break...
Buzz,
How come you call it "fighting fires"? Isn't it just digging and pruning bushes? About like the crew of "Hispanics" I have out working in the yard around the Double Wide today.
Yep Elk Spunk...
This is a very typical post by one that has never done much to get their hands dirty and prefers to take the easy road with out actually learning what some thing is about...
You need to get away from that puter of yours and go actually do some thing for a change besides "Playing". Only then can you actually judge some one that works for a living...
Other wise it only makes you an elitist snob, and there are very few people that actually takes much merit in that....
The "Scab" thing was meant in reference to some thing Buzz posted...Get with it Elk Spunk, your supposed to be informed on these things and not just jump to conclusions...
Just a little FYI for your simple processes to work over, this is an individual that will cross a picket line to work in Union shops when the union is on strike, there are no unions in the fire world.... :rolleyes:
Lets get up to date on this stuff before you start sticking your nose up some ones ass and taking to quick a breath.... :D

Elkchsr, read this slowly...

I challenge you to find anywhere on this board where I've used language like this: elkchsr said, "one..#*^@#* YOU...YOU PEICE OF SHIT!!!..."

Also, please try to comprehend, you have a real problem with comprehension.

My post to beardown, while none of your business, was only to explain to him how much work is involved with "leeching from the Government". I was also pointing out that most fire-fighters get no insurance, no retirement, or other benefits. I never found fighting fire to be "leeching" the government, apparently you do. Fine with me, quit doing it then. Fighting fire is hard work, and I never thought I was over-paid.

I have no trouble with my profession. I feel good about making over $20 an hour, getting excellent insurance, a big fat government retirement, etc. I've earned it, both in job experience and by acquiring an education. My sacrifices early in life have made it possible for me to enjoy hunting in 3-5 states a year (and being able to take PAID vacation the whole time), fishing all over the country, living in a nice house, driving a new vehicle, etc. etc. etc. Oh, and I still have time to get involved in environmental issues, so life is great.

Oh, and you're also wrong about this: "there are no unions in the fire world...."

Yes there are unions in the fire world...all the permanent seasonal fire-fighters with the United States Forest Service, BLM, National Parks, etc. are represented by the Federal Employees Union.

Have a great day!

FWIW, I'm sorta looking forward to fire season for a couple of reasons. 1. I've never seen a wildland fire even remotely close. 2. I'm interested in the rehab after the fire, which is what I'll be working on (Resource Advisor). I attend fire school in 3 weeks.

That was news to me...Thanks for the info on the Unions...
If the conversation was private and not meant to be taken out of context, then why was it posted when and where it was? Sounds kinda fishy to me...
But no skin off my nose...LOL...
I suppose for some, fires are some thing they do for money alone. For me, it was a calling, why should I try and fight some thing that it seems I am supposed to be doing? I make over $20 an hour, maybe with out any bennies, but then again, if I had wanted some thing with all the frills, I would have stayed in the Union in Wa. when I was there, or this last winter... Or for that matter, if money was the big thing that was my driving force, I would have stayed in Washington killing trees, that was netting some 150K yr...but as with most of us when we do some thing for a long time get burned out on it and try to find some thing else....

Elkchsr,

You are correct, it isnt about the money, if it was I never would have spent 10K to get a degree in Forestry.

I also wouldnt be working for the Gov., they dont pay for crap compared to the private sector. The reasons why I have the job I do, is alot more involved than just money. You dont see many people who CHOOSE to work in Natural Resource Management doing it to make a fortune, the money isnt there.

I'd explain it to you why I chose my degree and why I work for the Gov., but you wouldnt get it, so why waste my time.

You not knowing about the FS, BLM, NP, unions comes as no suprise, thats just one in a long list of things you dont know about, yet, feel compelled to squawk about. A little research goes a long ways.

No insurance and no retirement? So thats what makes me a scab? Well Buzz you probably just put down 70% of the people on this board! Reality check I would estimate atleast 70% of the people in this country either have no insurance or are well under insured. The last job I had that had insurance and retirement was a joke. I paid more every month then the fuggin insurance company was willing to pay when I went to the doctor. So dont sit here and tell me a bunch of crap about that, as I learned a long time ago its all just a scam! By the way if you have a 401K check ENRON for a reference, I'm sure the thousands of employees that had their retirement stolen from them can sure tell you a few things. Not everybody chooses the right path in life. I for one was led into beleiving if I bust my ass in my trade I will be succesful, well that has not exactly been the case. So does that make me lesser than you? I have come to grips with money is not everything, happiness and where you live is. Thats why I'm up here instead of making 23.60 an hour with full paid bennys in Phoenix. I think it takes a bigger man to walk away from that type of insurance in life, just to find a road to real living! Yes I will be fighting fires this summer and will be guiding this fall, both of which will keep me in the outdoors for quite a while. That is where I want to be and have taken the steps to acheive these things. Im shocked at the fact someone of your statue can get off on putting down someone like me. If my life was all about the money then I would be on here bragging about how I made 350.00 an hour last summer doing my own buisness. Yeah it was only for a few hours but if I wanted to keep hunting down those jobs, I'm sure I would still be making it. What cracks me up is you think 20.00 an hour is good money and you went to school for that? Hell I never went to school and have made more than that or right under that for the last 6 years! I have decided that while I'm still young I want to do some things that I want to do and firefighting is one of them, my buisness can wait a few years, I still got to much go in me to just sit behind a desk! Atleast I'm trying to do some good for this world and whether you like it or not theres a hell of alot of people that appreciate guys like me. So instead of insulting the majority of the people around here, why not just e-mail EG and talk your crap, I'm sure everybody else would appreciate that!

Beardown,

You've been hanging around elkchsr too long, your not comprehending.

Reread the post, slow down this time and actually read it.

I'm not in the Natural Resource Field for the money, thats why I said this, in the above post, "I also wouldnt be working for the Gov., they dont pay for crap compared to the private sector. The reasons why I have the job I do, is alot more involved than just money. You dont see many people who CHOOSE to work in Natural Resource Management doing it to make a fortune, the money isnt there."

I also wouldnt have lived in Missoula Montana for 32 years if I was about making money, nor would I have moved to Laramie Wyoming if I was about making money.

Also, hate to break this news to you, but the Governments retirement program is excellent. You have a TSP account(similar to a 401, but better IMO) as well as a seperate federal retirement. I dont know of many retirement plans as good as those two plans. The health/life insurance is also excellent. Sorry you had a bad experience with your deal.

I do agree that a company owned retirement plan is a bad idea, thats why I dont own one.

Besides all that, I'm not cutting on anyone for what they do as a profession, but I sure as hell hear an earful from lots and lots of people about mine. You being a prime example, you've made several assumptions that simply arent true. One major one being that I sit behind a desk, not true at all. I spend 9 months a year in the field, nearly every day. I spend 75+ days a year hunting and fishing.

The reason I chose my profession is so that I could 1. manage natural resources for the betterment of the public 2. So I could have a job outside 3. So I could have plenty of time OFF to hunt and fish. It made sense, I knew what I wanted, knew how I had to go about getting there, and I did it.

We all make choices, and I'm pretty happy and secure about the ones I made.

Good luck with yours.

Back