Caribou Gear

Some toys followed me home

MT_Chad

I friend of mine has been hurting for money and decided to sell a bunch of guns that she inherited from her uncle. Well, my wife gave me the clear that to help her out I could bring a few home. Almost all of them are from the 60's or earlier. The first to follow me home was a 10/22 that was old enough to have the metal trigger guard and butt plate. The other is a pre 64 model 70 feather light in 243. I had been lusting over that one for quite a while and when my wife gave me the go ahead, I jumped all over it. Pretty pumped to shoot it. The stock is beat up so that will probably be a spring project to refinish.20200229_133401.jpg

Last edited:
@fowl punishment my heart rate just jumped for a hot second until I saw the 243 shrouded front sight as I have exactly both of those in my possession, down to the “quick disconnect” scope rings and nearly identical scope profile.

@fowl punishment my heart rate just jumped for a hot second until I saw the 243 shrouded front sight as I have exactly both of those in my possession, down to the “quick disconnect” scope rings and nearly identical scope profile.
Very cool. It will look a little different shortly, I'm going to swap some scopes around so the old school weaver and rings are coming off. It will probably go on the 22 for now.

I wouldn't change anything on that .243. Keep the scope on it and dont mess with the stock. That is an amazing classic and if that rifle could talk......

I wouldn't change anything on that .243. Keep the scope on it and dont mess with the stock. That is an amazing classic and if that rifle could talk......
I'm sure many will be horrified that I would mess with this rifle. I plan on hunting this rifle, safe queens don't hang around in my house very long unless they are heirloom guns. This one will become an heirloom for me definately, but I still want to use it. The stock needs attention, enough finish has been worn off, it needs to be sealed up. I know this effects the value, but I don't believe this is one of the ultra valuable ones. I'm going to take it in to my gunsmith and have it inspected, he knows these old guns quite well, so he should be able to fill me in on it. If he concurs that it isn't one of the ultra valuable ones, my plan is to refinish the stock, have my smith go through it and tune it up, and find a classic looking gloss leupold for it. Then I use it for fair weather hunts, bad weather hunts will still see my ruger and tikka. I look forward to my girls shooting it as well once they understand what it is, until then it will be my personal deer and antelope rifle. My friend I bought it from was happy her uncles gun will be enjoyed by, hopefully, a couple generations of my young family.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back