Softshell vs. rain jacket

Bowhuntrben

So I'm still unable to make up my mind with a jacket. I was wondering how many of you actually use a softshell like the Sitka Jetstream or KUIU Guide on your hunts? How many ditched the softshell and just carry a rain jacket? I'm looking at getting a down jacket for insulation (either Sitka or KUIU probably) and trying to figure out the outer layer.

Does anybody have experience with the KUIU Yukon Rain Jacket? If so, do you like it? Is it quiet?

Anybody with experience on the KUIU Guide Jacket? Does it break the wind pretty well? Is it decent for water resistance?

Early September/monsoon season, I carry rain gear. The chances of prolonged rain are too high. Late September and on, only carry rain gear if it looks like rain in the forecast, but usually have soft shell in pack to keep me dry if a shower pops up. I don't have either of those two specific ones you mentioned. I have used the Kuiu Chinook and have no complaints.

I like the soft shell for around town. Hunting purposes I feel a puffy and a hard shell are for more versatile.

So I'm still unable to make up my mind with a jacket. I was wondering how many of you actually use a softshell like the Sitka Jetstream or KUIU Guide on your hunts? How many ditched the softshell and just carry a rain jacket? I'm looking at getting a down jacket for insulation (either Sitka or KUIU probably) and trying to figure out the outer layer.

Does anybody have experience with the KUIU Yukon Rain Jacket? If so, do you like it? Is it quiet?

Anybody with experience on the KUIU Guide Jacket? Does it break the wind pretty well? Is it decent for water resistance?

I have the Kuiu Yukon rain jacket and it doesn't breathe nearly as well as my softshell or even a DWR hardshell and its middle of the road quiet. Its quieter than the lightweight rain gear, but not as quiet as the more brushed surface rain gear.

I run the Kuiu Superdown jacket and its one of my most valuable pieces of gear.

With DWR sitka jackets (I use the stratus), sitka timberline pants and gaiters I need really sustained rain to make me use rain gear.

Looking back I think you need 3 jackets for western hunts: A puffy down, a DWR shell and a packable piece of rain gear if I was starting from scratch again.

I like the soft shell for around town. Hunting purposes I feel a puffy and a hard shell are for more versatile.

Totally agree. I've never worn a soft shell hunting or skiing always a hard shell and a puffy. In September the hard shell will mostly stay in your pack in Oct or Nov I hike in a merino mid layer and put on the hard shell when I stop to glass or my movement is minimal. If you are worrried about sweating and it not being breathable get something with pit zips.

I typically do the puffy/hard shell on backpack hunts but I wear my soft shell on my later season day hunts, skiing, and other active, cold weather activities. I love my guide jacket and I'm glad that I have it. The combination of being wind proof, breathable and water resistant makes it a great jacket when your active in colder weather. I just hunted cow elk for 3 days in blizzards, sun, wind, calm, you name it and I wore my guide jacket as my outer layer nearly exclusively with with the exception of my FL puffy when the temps were well below 0. I never had the need to put on a hard shell despite the precip which made the post holing a lot more comfortable. The soft shell is not worth the weight penalty when you have a few days of supplies on your back though, I will agree with that.

The guide jacket is a solid piece of gear. I actually wait until November-December to use mine. It's not great in wind, water, or warmth but it's very solid in all three. I like mine. However, you do not need a soft shell for early season and I would scratch the idea of hunting in a rain jacket. Also, I would go with a First Lite puffy over a Kuiu super down. My super down had holes in it right away from brush and sitting back on rocks. The First Lite puffy has been bombproof for me. Both the cirrus and the uncompahgre.

I was trying to decide on this same thing a couple of years ago. Ultimately I decided to go with a soft shell because very rarely do I see prolonged rain events in Utah, but I do end up spending a fair amount of time fighting brush and rocks in the cold (I think it comes down to how much to hunt in the rain. a soft shell is not going to fight rain or sleet very long) . From the experience I gathered around me, even the best rain jackets are going to break down fairly quickly fighting nasty buck brush and rocks. I have gone through some pretty nasty snowstorms and the Kuiu Guide did very well. I also really like number of venting options provided in the jacket to help regulate body heat as I move from hiking/packing to sitting and glassing. I also REALLY like my super down vest. I felt a little guilty spending so much money on a vest, but I have used it a lot more than I ever thought I would.

As part of the show, I have multiple sets of everything Sitka makes. Investment in product is not a factor in my decisions.

I have tried all combinations in all sorts of conditions. By a far stretch, the soft-shell Jetstream is the best outer layer I have found for mountain hunting. Layering with that is a solution that works 98% of the time. If it is raining hard enough that the DWR on the Jetstream can't repel it, odds are I'm waiting out the weather. Soft shells, such are the Jetstream, are quieter and that particular garment has a Windstopper membrane. I prefer Windstopper over all the membranes out there, when it comes to jackets. It has a very high evaporation rate and like the name says, it is serious protection in the wind.

I have had many guest hunters who, at my recommendation, have used the same layering system with the outer Jetstream jacket, when on our hunts. By the end of the hunt, everyone of them have decided they like that combination for mountain hunting. Not surprisingly, when we loan them all that gear, the Jetstream often does not make it back to me. Imagine that.

...............damn,should have borrowed one in the Eagle Nest parking lot during that sqwual...lol

That is one piece of gear along with maybe Mtn. pants I would like to add.
Been using packable rain gear & it is somewhat windstopper,but a just one w/layering & windshear is way more practical.
Later in year a King's Mtn Parka w/removable liner & down sweater if it gets real cold.
I sit out most bad stuff here now too Randy,away from those poky metal three legged gizmos..... rain gear or not.

Another second for the soft shell route. Jacket and pants. I wear mine as my outer layer and add a thin puffy underneath when I need it and carry a thick down jacket as a just in case layer. Basically a wicking t-shirt, long sleeve 1/4 or 1/2 zip, insulating layer if needed and then my soft shell. I leave the hard shell in the pack for true rain or snow storms. Before I bought my soft shell I used to go the hard shell with insulation under route. Backcountry skied for decades that way. If I had the money to re-tool the ski gear I'd get a soft shell and dress like I do for hunting. I hunted in one heck of a snow storm last year (snowed a foot during shooting hours) and only had my soft shell pants/long underwear with gaiters on the bottom and walked away from the day with dry legs and feet. Wish I had a soft shell jacket with a hood!

I really like my Guide jacket, particularly if it's cold and snowy. However, if it's pouring rain I grab GoreTex or something even more waterproof.

As part of the show, I have multiple sets of everything Sitka makes. Investment in product is not a factor in my decisions.

I have tried all combinations in all sorts of conditions. By a far stretch, the soft-shell Jetstream is the best outer layer I have found for mountain hunting. Layering with that is a solution that works 98% of the time. If it is raining hard enough that the DWR on the Jetstream can't repel it, odds are I'm waiting out the weather. Soft shells, such are the Jetstream, are quieter and that particular garment has a Windstopper membrane. I prefer Windstopper over all the membranes out there, when it comes to jackets. It has a very high evaporation rate and like the name says, it is serious protection in the wind.

I have had many guest hunters who, at my recommendation, have used the same layering system with the outer Jetstream jacket, when on our hunts. By the end of the hunt, everyone of them have decided they like that combination for mountain hunting. Not surprisingly, when we loan them all that gear, the Jetstream often does not make it back to me. Imagine that.

Even with the new Timberline Jacket, are you still preferring the Jetstream?

To the OP, If considering a KUIU puffy, I HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend the Kenai over the down, especially if to be used hiking. I own both. I throw the down on to glass, but love the kenai, especially for non-stationary hunting in the cold. If you want to see in person what its like, go check out an Arcteryx Atom at any outdoor store that carries them. Very similiar feel.

I have both the Jetstream and the Guide jacket.

The Jetstream is a really great piece of clothing. It is more windproof than the Guide. I think it is warmer, too but that is debatable.

I like the Guide better for general hunting though.

Even with the new Timberline Jacket, are you still preferring the Jetstream?

This might sound like I wussed out this season, but I did not encounter any conditions cold enough that I even took my brand new Timberline Jacket out of the plastic bag, using the Jetstream in every hunt. Maybe some February wolf hunting will provide that opportunity. Or maybe the Jetstream is such a "safety blanket" I just can't set it aside.

I thought the Jetstream was heavier than the Timberline?

Shows how much (little) I've looked at it. What you state might be the case.

Sitka had me and some others testing new gear all season, so that also played into my selection of items I wore.

Back