Snowtrekker Tent

Yooper906

Shot at TAC this weekend and Snowtrekker had booth/tent setup. Jonah (owner) was very friendly and informative. I’ve been in the market for a wall tent style tent for a few months and haven’t pulled the trigger. Definitely interested in Snowtrekker now, specifically their larger models 13x15 or 13x18. Anyone on here have any experience with them?

-Yooper

I’ve looked at their tents and been to the factory. They get rave reviews by all users especially among winter campers in the boundary waters and north woods. That price tag though!

I’ve looked at their tents and been to the factory. They get rave reviews by all users especially among winter campers in the boundary waters and north woods. That price tag though!
Yeah, little steep! But more compact compared to a Davis/Montana style tent with internal poles.

I have the 13x13 that is the combo Beau Baty/Snowtrekker design. I have been packing into the backcountry of CO with my llamas every year since 1998 and have used a Davis wall tent and 12-man Seek Outside tipi over that period. They were both good setups but the wall tent took a lot of time and effort to set up every year, and the tipi required a huge area to set up (19' diameter) so had to set it in the sun and it was very warm. Also had to constantly adjust the tie-outs due to the nature of sil-nylon in changing temps. IMHO Beau and Snowtrekker's design is the cat's meow. Can set it up in about 15 minutes tops with the internal Easton aluminum A-frame and very few stakeouts. The sleeved pole stakeout setup along the sides is also ingenious and makes for a taut setup. It is very lightweight for a canvas tent-my canvas weighs in at 21 lbs. The 13 x13 is also quite space-efficient-you can get 3-4 cots in it (5 if you plan it right) with room for table, wood stove and chairs (it is a palace for 3 on cots). Peak is at 9.5' which allows for a drying line and a place to string a line on either side for hanging your bow, without worrying about hitting your head on anything suspended from the ridge. It holds heat very well, stays cool in hot temps, and we never had to adjust a stake-out all of last September at 10,000 ft. I'm a gear-head and I checked this tent out over several conversations with Beau and Jonah and then right at Beau's place in Idaho (also purchased 2 young Ccara llamas from him just prior to the tent). Beau and Snowtrekker hit it out of the park with this tent design. Yes, it is pricey but will also likely last a lifetime if properly cared for and you sure can't put a price on those elk camp adventures! This setup makes it that much more possible and enjoyable.

Awesome to hear! I’ve talked to Jonah twice now. I ordered a 13x15 mega crew that will arrive on Tuesday! I will give an update after several uses! I sold a boat motor for this tent, so I wanted to do it right.

@woodswanderer, what stove are you running? That is one thing, I did not purchase from snowtrekker.

Awesome to hear! I’ve talked to Jonah twice now. I ordered a 13x15 mega crew that will arrive on Tuesday! I will give an update after several uses! I sold a boat motor for this tent, so I wanted to do it right.

@woodswanderer, what stove are you running? That is one thing, I did not purchase from snowtrekker.
I'm running a GStove which is made in Norway. Stove is made of stainless steel, basically a smaller and much lighter version of the Cylinder stoves made in Utah. Workmanship on this stove is incredible and even the stove pipe (stainless also) is top-notch quality and fit. It weighs 22 lbs with 7 sections of pipe cradled inside. It fits nicely in a llama pannier and heats the tent very well. It has a grate that folds out on each side to carry it and the grate is perfect for keeping things warm, drying gloves, and folding over on the stove to toast a bagel, etc. I have the water heater accessory that nestles around the pipe at the back of the stove and have also used the clothes dryer accessory which has 8 arms for drying clothes. Over the years, I have run several different types of stoves, including the Cylinder (was just too heavy and bulky) and the sheepherder types. This stove is the best quality of any of them and it is so solid you can stand on it. Also, basically airtight. Lots of Youtube videos which I watched before purchasing a few years ago. Another good one is the Riley stove that Beau uses-it is also pretty solid-would probably be my second choice but they are not as streamlined to pack in a llama pannier. Here is the link to the GStove:https://gstgearusa.com/

IMG_6009.jpeg
Tent came today! Pretty spacious. Took alittle time to set up. Like 30 minutes max and that’s after adjusting two times. Really think I’m going to like this tent! Will give more in depth update after season of use!

It will be headed to Wyoming for elk,
Montana late November, Michigan mid November and possibly family camping trip in 2 weeks (depending on mosquitoes)

-Yooper

You'll love that tent Yooper906. 13x15 should be a palace. You will have setup time cut in half once you have set it up a few times. Love the door design on these tents. We stake down a sand mat in front as I put a floor tarp down (had one custom made for the 13x13 size)-the sand mat makes a heck of a difference and we usually remove our boots there. You should be able to string multiple lines for hanging stuff and still have plenty of head and moving around room. I string 2 lines on each side of center where we hang our bows at an angle and it keeps them out of the way and secure. We use inverted trekking poles to anchor our packs upright (through straps) at the head of our cots and everything else goes under the cots. Amazing how much room you can have in one of these tents for sitting, cooking, eating, and moving around with these little hacks.

You'll love that tent Yooper906. 13x15 should be a palace. You will have setup time cut in half once you have set it up a few times. Love the door design on these tents. We stake down a sand mat in front as I put a floor tarp down (had one custom made for the 13x13 size)-the sand mat makes a heck of a difference and we usually remove our boots there. You should be able to string multiple lines for hanging stuff and still have plenty of head and moving around room. I string 2 lines on each side of center where we hang our bows at an angle and it keeps them out of the way and secure. We use inverted trekking poles to anchor our packs upright (through straps) at the head of our cots and everything else goes under the cots. Amazing how much room you can have in one of these tents for sitting, cooking, eating, and moving around with these little hacks.
Do you have any pictures of the inside of your tent you’d be willing to share? Either on this thread or pm?

Here is another one showing how we hang our bows off the frame. The lower cord puts the bows at the same pitch as the tent canopy so they are off to the side. Use 2 j-hooks to hang each bow by the string. This setup gets the bows out of the way while protecting them.

1688322417952.jpeg

I have one that's a decade old or so. I think its a 12x12 roughly. I friggin love it. It repels water, stands up to wind incredibly well and keeps heat in very nicely too. I would highly recommend it. I do most my hunting with llamas and in total it weighs 25lbs so I usually top load the tent and put the poles in on of the panniers. The Snow trekker Collab with Beau Baty are some great tents too, the small one fits completely into one panier.
IMG-4581.jpg
IMG-4560.jpg

@Yooper906 which stove did you go with? Gstove or the Snowtreker stove? I am looking at a very similar setup. Not sure the extra cost for the Stove is worth it (very similar in weight).

@Yooper906 which stove did you go with? Gstove or the Snowtreker stove? I am looking at a very similar setup. Not sure the extra cost for the Stove is worth it (very similar in weight).
Have not decided yet. I was leaning towards Riley Stoves. But also cylinder stove for truck camping.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back