PEAX Equipment

Sitka Jackets

Bowhuntrben

I'm looking at getting a new jacket and looking at various Sitka jackets. I was wondering if anybody has tried any of these and what your thoughts are about them?

Timberline Jacket
90% Jacket
Coldfront Jacket

Unfortunately, there's not a lot of local places that carry the Big Game line of Sitka gear for me to go look at them. I am looking for a jacket that I can use for my normal winter jacket. I usually have a t-shirt and sweatshirt underneath, so I don't normally where a jacket with a terrible lot of insulation, but some is certainly nice. When I'm outside with the jacket, I'm typically moving, and I would assume I would need to layer more if planning to sit for a while.

I was leaning toward the Coldfront since it has goretex and would be nice to have for a hunt with rain or wet snow. I just wouldn't want to end up getting the jacket, and it's just a really expensive rain jacket that won't be warm enough for walking outside in winter.

If I was planning to be more stationary, I was thinking of getting the Kelvin Lite to go with it. Is the Kelvin Lite a pretty warm addition to the jacket?

Any thoughts on these jackets?

the 90% is my standard jacket when doing outside activity. But I can't sit in it for more than a few minutes in the winter. I do use it for chilly sept or early oct hunts to sit in. I layer my chama hoody and a fleece under it. If I had to do it again I'd go with the first lite north branch. In terms of the Kelvin, I would either go with non-camo (backcountry.com usually has some deals) or two of my hunting partners picked up the Kuiu Kenai, both love it. None of use are brand specific, we just use what works the best and doesn't kill the bank.

I used the Timberline for 3rd season in Colorado. It is really comfortable and the windstopper is great. It's not as warm as I thought it would be, which is ok because I'd rather wear several layers than one big jacket. I recently sold my 90% Jacket, I thought it was too warm for active hunting in any temps above freezing or so.

I haven't bought it yet, but I have been looking at it for a long time now and am opting for the Timberline. The windproof is more important than the waterproof. It will shed a good amount of water, and I'm not hunting in the pouring rain with any of that gear anyway. I have a full gortex suit for that.

I have the coldfront jacket and it performs well. Windproof and waterproof but not really warm so layering underneath is key. I have the Jetstream and probably wear that more

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back