MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Should pad?

jryoung

Anyone use a shoulder pad for shooting? I shot 81 rounds at the range yesterday and was hurting pretty good towards the end of the day, and am sore now.

I've got another session coming up to fine tune some loads and was thinking of getting a shoulder pad for these types of long days.

What have you used/what do you recommend?

Was thinking this from Caldwell...if I'm going to get one, should I get the "magnum" model or regular. My thought is magnum.

http://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Mag-..._sim_sg_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0R8KAYQ7K9GJQ1YYVQ9R

I got a similar pad for my son when he first started shooting because he was brutally recoil sensitive. He used it for a few days then stopped because he was more confident. My step daughter used it at first too and no longer needs it. I think they are useful and definitely a good investment. They also don't take up much room in your length of pull measurement, so they don't change your sight picture at all.

My college daughter used one (Caldwells regular) during a sporting clays outing and liked the result. I shot my round with regular clothing and I felt it the next day as I was not fully placing the butt of the gun in the proper place on the shoulder before firing (allowing the gun's full recoil to smack me.)

Have a similar on as the one you posted. Works extremely well for spreading out the recoil. I think mine is the magnum version as well, all in all about 1/2 thick or so.

my M70 FWT 30-06 as the 1/2" red pad is probably harder than steel at this point.

I have a Ruger Ultralight 270 with a "steel red rubber" plate on it as well, that is far and away the worst kicking rifle I own/shoot. I loath checking the sight on that thing. I'd rather shoot 12ga slugs from the bench in a tee shirt.

I have a Ruger Ultralight 270 with a "steel red rubber" plate on it as well, that is far and away the worst kicking rifle I own/shoot. I loath checking the sight on that thing. I'd rather shoot 12ga slugs from the bench in a tee shirt.

T-shirt? pffffft

10696465_10203365578914929_3910225341786568378_n.jpg

Because I covet that thumper, JR.

My Ruger Hawkeye 300 WM is brutal on the shoulder w/ the factory pad. If it ever gets to where I like the rifle, I'll put a decelerator on it.

The 577/500 No. 2 is a little western. So is the GEW 88 in 8x57I w/ the smooth steel buttplate. Old rifles weren't always meant to be pleasant shooting. ;)

I never used a shoulder pad, but when I had my Savage 270 Win, the recoil got to be a bit much while at the range. 6-7 rounds and I was done with that rifle. I use the Limbsaver Slide On Recoil Pad. It added a couple of inches to the length of pull, but for me it wasn't too bad. Slide that on and I could put endless amount of rounds without any pain.

So I figured with another discussion regarding recoil I'd update this. I bought the PAST Magnum (1/2") shoulder pad and was amazed at the difference it made. Well worth the $25 investment when it comes to those long multi-hour sessions at the range.

I just bought one for my father who had shoulder surgery and shooting the shotgun hurts where the screws are. I went with the evoshield. He hasn't used it yet but this weekend he will. I don't have experience with this shirt but I have used their products for sports and you can take a 90 mph fastball and not feel it so there is that. It was $60 and is an under armor type material. It is a pretty neat little pads that company makes.

When I had a cheesy and light synthetic stock on my rifle, I used to use a Limbsaver slip on recoil pad, it was awesome, but it increased the length of pull about 3/4 of an inch.

Back