Should I tip the bow guy

EODRay

Yesterday I bought a new bow from Sportsman's Warehouse (Bear Method). It's the first bow that I bought new and had setup for me at purchase. The guy that helped me purchase and set it up did a great job.

He took his time, set it all up and was even going to adjust my wife's bow for us at no charge. He spent probably an hour with me throughout the whole process. While we were leaving the parking lot, I asked my wife if she thought that I should have given the guy a tip. What is the etiquette on something like this?

I go there regularly and wouldn't have any issue giving him a late tip. I just thought I would run it by the more experienced hunters here.

Usually when you purchase a new bow the set up for that bow is included. Sometimes it can be a little time consuming but that is his job...thats why he is in the bow dept. Now... sometimes so called bow techs"tune" or "set up" your bow for you and dont really want to spend the necessary time it takes so a $10 or a $20 in your case might go a long way. I got burned a loooooong time ago so I made it a point to never let that happen again. I learned to do it myself. Its not really difficult and any avid bowhunter will have to make a repair on thier own bow one time or another. If you cant your hunt is over. So in the mean time IMO ...Id throw him a bone just in case you need something done in a hurry until you can learn to do it yourself .....Start reading...go on youtube...do what ever you can to leard about bows and that will make you a better bowhunter.....good luck....:cool:

I use to manage for sporties and have run numerous shops, don't tip. It is against policy to accept them. A good bow tech just likes to tech bows, otherwise he would have had to work on cycle counts anyways.

I use to manage for sporties and have run numerous shops, don't tip. It is against policy to accept them. A good bow tech just likes to tech bows, otherwise he would have had to work on cycle counts anyways.
There is your ans right from the techs mouth....I wasnt sure because I take care of my own.....:cool:

Thanks for the input guys. I can do the simple stuff on my own and am learning more all the time. I have always bought used bows so I had to do the setup myself. It was just convenient to have them do all the setup right there. I was very impressed with how much time the guy took to make sure I was satisfied with my bow. Kudos to Sportsman's Warehouse.

Sporties is an awesome store. New dealings have reacquired stores and the building process beginings yet again. If you find a good tech, swing in and get to know them. Chances are they will show you more then you care to know. That is the nice thing about larger box stores, the employees can spend time with you if you want. Just have to find knowledgeable guys.

Send a kudos letter to corporate and tell them about your experience. Perhaps they will reward a dedicated and hardworking employee.

Send a kudos letter to corporate and tell them about your experience. Perhaps they will reward a dedicated and hardworking employee.

Good idea Zack. I looked for a customer comment card so that I could do that but didn't find one. He even caught us on the way out and told me that he hoped I got a lot of enjoyment....and game with my new bow. I'll let em know what a great job he's doing for their company.

As for the bow (Bear Method), I couldn't be any more pleased with it so far. I was replacing a Matthews Featherlite. Matthews has a great reputation but the top of the line bows from years ago can't compare to the newer bows from almost any manufacturers.

I was actually going their to buy the Bear Encounter (only $400.00) Ready to hunt package after seeing what was available in the area and reading reviews. When I got there, I shot multiple bows. The aforementioned employee was more than happy to set up as many bows as I wanted to shoot. I had informed him that I was here to buy.

After shooting the bows, I wanted the Method ($750.00 RTH ((even better than the Motive $1000.00)) but I told the guy that I would take the Encounter. It was what I came for and was a great bow for the money. My awesome wife said.......get the one you want and you won't have regrets. So I told the salesman to change that to the Method. I'm so glad I did. :hump::hump:

I've shot about 50+ arrows through it in the last couple of days. Now I'm so excited about my Sep Elk hunt. It will be abbreviated since I'm also deploying again at the end of Sep. For some reason, my wife doesn't want me to spend my last month in the states hunting. Such are the struggles of military life.

I do plan on taking it with me and hope to get a lot of practice in during those nine months. WOW! That was a lot of rambling. :hump:

What I would do and make sure to use this person's name. I would also stop by and just say hello any time you are in the store (don't have to bug the tech, buy just say hi).

Ray, I tip when service is above the norm. In a situation where gratuity is rare I always ask the recipient if he/she would be offended. Most people remember courtesy and respect for a job well done...for a long time.

X2, I'd find out who the store GM is and maybe one higher up (Regional GM) and personally write a letter to each. A long lost art that goes a very long way.

Attachments

• Sportsman's Warehouse - Google Chrome_2013-07-29_09-00-25.png
    Sportsman's Warehouse - Google Chrome_2013-07-29_09-00-25.png
    53.4 KB · Views: 517
Last edited:
Back