Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Shooter?

mdunc8

I've been eyeing a ridge in Yellowstone the last few years and finally made the time to make it up there. Cruddy snow, but it was pretty neat to make a few turns with an audience of buffalo, elk, coyotes, and foxes.

Stopped and had lunch with this guy while watching three giant bulls on the hill in the background.
DSC_00021.jpg

Good thing I left it (and the other half dozen on the hill) as I spent a while talking to a ranger when I get back to the truck.
DSC_00061.jpg

DSC_0012.JPG

Saw the two biggest mule deer of my life on the way out, which was odd as I rarely see muleys in the Park.

Hey now, you changed hats!

Looks like a cool trip, I need to see the Park in the winter sometime.

The penalties for doing such are a joke. Still not worth it though.

Press Release #1 issued by the National Park Service (June 30, 2000)
Men Found Guilty of Hunting Antlers and Wildlife in Yellowstone

Yellowstone National Park Superintendent Michael Finley announced that on June 26, 2000, three men from Utah pled guilty before U.S. Magistrate Judge Stephen E. Cole in Mammoth Hot Springs to hunting elk antlers and capturing and attempting to remove a mule deer fawn from the park.
On June 25, 2000, a park researcher observed and reported two men carrying elk antlers near Slough Creek Campground in the park. When contacted by park rangers, the three individuals were in possession of 34 pounds of elk antlers and had cached over 300 pounds of antlers for future removal. They were arrested for possession of natural features. It was later discovered they had also captured and removed a mule deer fawn from the backcountry and concealed it within their vehicle. All three cooperated with rangers during the investigation and admitted to their actions.
Each individual was ordered to pay $2,000 restitution to the park, assessed $10 to the victim/witness fund, and placed on probation for three years. During their probation, they are prohibited from entering Yellowstone National Park.
The fawn was in human possession about 20 hours before rangers released it into the area from which it was captured. While possible, it is not expected to survive.

This thread reminds me of when I was back in school in Bozeman. My wife to be and I were going to do a little hiking in the park in early April. Right next to the highway on the Black Tail Plateau was this shed. I knew right away by the color that it was not a recent shed and likely placed by a ranger to catch an illegal antler hunter. My girlfriend took this picture and I tossed the antler off the side of the road into the trees. We then went on with a half day hike and left the park with out incident. When I got back to Bozeman my dad called and ask how my day in the park was. The rangers had called him to get info on what we were doing in the park. I wondered how they got his number as we were in my girlfriends car with Ohio plates. My luggage was in the back and it had an address label on the side. The rangers must have looked through the back window of her car. They were likely watching us all day.

Antlerradar

Attachments

• CCI06192015_0003.jpg
    CCI06192015_0003.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 444
Last edited:
I would not advertise unless your activity is totaly legal because FWP uses websites to track all activities, like posting pictures

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back