Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Saving Maps onto Android Tablet

Corax

I recently bought an android tablet, have installed the Onxmaps app, and am planning on using it hunting this year. It has a 7" screen, which to my old eyes is way better than the screen on my GPSMAP. I have not decided if I will leave the tablet in the truck or haul it around while hunting.

The selection of basemaps available for Onxmaps is excellent - including extremely detailed satellite photos. I have not spotted any elk yet in the photos, but I keep looking.

I have been saving maps onto the device, but find it clunky to save a big area. As far as I can tell, you need to zoom in to the level you want the data for, then save. I guess I am something of a data hog, but am getting bogged down in the tiles, zoom level, etc. I need to make several saves to get the area I want, and keep losing track of what is saved at what level.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for any help.

I believe it allows you to save maps in ten mile sections. If you need more then 10 miles do another map with a different name. I use a general area name then add north, south, east and west to the name for easy retrieval. That is what I've been doing at least. ??

Im using it in Montana and the app has been able to track me 95% of the time. It lost me twice, both times in narrow, steep canyons. It picks me up once i emerge.

I'm very impressed with the app this year. I struggled with it last year but once you figure it out it is simple. It was a life saver this spring when i packed a bear out all night long bushwacking through timber and cliffs. Without it I would of been forced to wait out daybreak which scared the wiz out of me being in the heart of grizzly bear country with a load of fresh meat on my back.

Thank you for a great product onXMAPS!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back