Caribou Gear Tarp

Sage grouse hunted despite concerns

ELKCHSR

Sage grouse hunted despite concerns
By BOB MOEN, Associated Press Writer

While biologists and politicians fight over whether the greater sage grouse should be labeled an endangered species, 10 Western states allow hunters to take aim at the reclusive, ground-dwelling bird.

Listing the sage grouse under the Endangered Species Act could mean severe restrictions on two mainstays of the West's economy — ranching and the booming oil and gas industry. So if the bird's population has declined so significantly, some question why they are still being hunted.

"It certainly might make sense to try and have every different aspect of the sage grouse life cycle be given as much of a break as possible for a while to allow populations to rebound," said Erik Molvar, executive director of the environmental group Biodiversity Conservation Alliance.

But Tom Christiansen, sage grouse program coordinator for the Wyoming Game and Fish Department, said hunting has negligible impacts on sage grouse. It is the new subdivisions, energy development and grazing livestock that pose greater threats to the bird because they wipe out habitats, he said.

The Western Watersheds Project, an Idaho-based conservation group, has sued the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service in federal court over the agency's decision not to list the bird as endangered. The conservation group argues the decision was based more on pro-energy politics than science.

Tom Maechtle, of Sheridan, a member of the North American Grouse Partnership, said he hopes sage grouse hunting would still be permitted if the bird becomes protected because many hunters work with landowners to help them understand and conserve the bird's habitat.

"Sportsmen tend to be pretty active in conserving and enhancing bird habitat," he said.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service recognizes only two species of sage grouse — the greater sage grouse and the Gunnison sage grouse. The Gunnison is located in parts of Colorado and southeast Utah, and both states prohibit hunting of the bird because their numbers are much less than the greater sage grouse.

The greater sage grouse prefers to be left alone within vast, secluded, high-altitude, open areas dotted with sagebrush, a harsh plant it uses for cover and food. Male grouse are known for their spectacular displays of feathers and pumped up chests during the spring mating season.

Human encroachment in the form of urban growth, roads, agriculture and energy development have reduced its historical habitat to 11 states — Wyoming, Montana, Oregon, Washington, California, Idaho, Utah, Colorado, Nevada, North Dakota and South Dakota. Biologists say drought, predators, wildfires and West Nile virus have exacerbated the problem.

"There's a lot of stresses out there in the environment," said Pat Diebert, a U.S. Fish and Wildlife biologist. As a result, the sage grouse population has been reduced to a fraction of its past numbers, estimated to have been in the millions before Europeans settled in North America.

Counting the bird is difficult and guesses range from about 150,000 to 500,000 nationwide.

Conservationists, who have been fighting to stem oil and gas development and public land grazing throughout the West, argue the bird needs endangered species protection so its numbers can recover.

But the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service in 2005 rejected petitions by environmental groups to list the greater sage grouse under the Endangered Species Act. The agency determined special protections were not warranted because of local and state conservation efforts.

States, fearing federal protections would shut off millions of acres to livestock grazing and energy development, have undertaken initiatives to study the bird and how to improve its habitat.

Last month, a Wyoming panel recommended the state spend $27.3 million to help preserve the sage grouse and its habitat. Oil and gas companies operating in southwest Wyoming have offered some $60 million to monitor wildlife and improve habitat around their gas wells.

States also have cut back hunting seasons and bag limits, but only Washington state has eliminated the practice. Washington has the smallest sage grouse habitat among the 11 states.

This year, Wyoming's season ran from Sept. 22 to Oct 2, and hunters were limited to two grouse a day. California and South Dakota limited their season to just two days, and Idaho closed off areas burned by wildfires this summer. Montana instituted a two-bird bag limit like most other states, but its grouse hunting season was the longest — running from Sept. 1 to Nov. 1.

Many biologists agree that sage grouse can withstand hunting if it is properly regulated.

"There's no link that's ever been scientifically established to suggest that hunting has been a cause for declines," said Christiansen, of the Wyoming Game and Fish Department.

For the first time in about 10 years I shot a limit of two sage hens.

P8310935.jpg

Talking with the biologists here they indicated this year was one of the best years on record for sage hen numbers. Also while counting leks they have discovered about double the number of leks then they thought were out there.

Energy development is having a huge negative impact on Sage Grouse populations and will eventually lead to listing them as endangered.

Hunting has little to no impact on overall numbers.

Nemont

I don't know much about these critters because I don't live where they live

What is it that can be done (negating removal of Energy development since that won't happen)?

Is it more the fact they are losing habitat?

Food resources?

Or they just don't like the noise?

Could more planting be accomplished to help?

I don't know much about these critters because I don't live where they live

What is it that can be done (negating removal of Energy development since that won't happen)?

Is it more the fact they are losing habitat?

Food resources?

Or they just don't like the noise?

Could more planting be accomplished to help?

Then why post the thread when you don't have a clue what you are talking about?

Going to form an opinion on your own, anytime soon??

I shoulda put guner on ignore years ago this is all I have to read when he or 280 posts

!!! N I C E !!!... :D

Today, 10:02 AM
Remove user from ignore listJoseCuervo
This message is hidden because I cant handle someone else's Opinon for example :

Energy development is having a huge negative impact on Sage Grouse populations and will eventually lead to listing them as endangered.
I agree. As I see it, energy development and fires resulting in conversion to introduced annuals are the big factors. If and when they do list this bird there will be LOTS of changes coming to the affected areas. However, I do think that there's a chance that the energy development could halt thier listing...too many rich people that stand to lose too much.

Elkchsr, I saw sage grouse this weekend not too terribly far from your MT address... I wouldn't be too surprised if there aren't any around the Butte/Anaconda/Deer Lodge area. The are around Dillon...

That may be true, but I'm not sure if it's right, I'll have to ask one of the local ologists I know if this is so...

There may not be any here for the same reason there are no rattlesnakes, even though they are just south of Dillon...

Just a bit to cold for to much of the year...

But I'll ask...

Cold is not a problem for sage grouse, they live where Nemont lives... :D

Generally any place with large stretches of sagebrush should have or had some sage grouse.

I just haven't seen any sign of them in these regions that I've been in so far

There may just not be enough sage brush in these areas, there are just south of Dillon though

Mostly here is short grasses and forbs

Sage patches tend to be in 100 acre patches more or less, or are a great distance between the larger ones

I've also noticed over the last few years that the cows have been better regulated in areas that should have larger patches of sage that had been hit pretty hard before and it will just take time to get them back

I think the people who regulate cattle on public land have been doing a lot better than the first year I hunted Montana in the late 90's

I've also noticed over the last few years that the cows have been better regulated in areas that should have larger patches of sage that had been hit pretty hard before and it will just take time to get them back
Are you saying that better regulation of the livestock will allow the sagebrush to increase? Could be true for sheep, but definitely not cattle. High amounts of cattle use will tend to increase sagebrush. Learned that from lots of dry reading... ;)

LOL....

I get most of my information from what I've witnessed first hand...

Since it takes years of watching to start seeing patterns, there’s a lot to continually learn

However, I will keep an eye on these areas I frequent to watch this bit of knowledge unfold...

Thanks... :)

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back