Rigby

Europe

I had the opportunity yesterday to get some fresh air thanks to some friends and the bonus was being able to handle her Rigby rifle. I did not shoot it but thought it was worthy of giving you fellows the following information

They started making these a couple years ago for both men and women. Hers was made for a female and it was very nice. It is called the Highland Stalker, has a mauser 98 action and walnut stock so it is heavy ( in todays world for todays hunters ) at 7lbs 8oz. hers was the 275 Rigby but they also make them in 308. 30-06, 8 x 57 and 9.3 x 62 ( Carl, did you catch that, 9 x 62 ) . The good news is the price is a tad under 10,000.00, which is very affordable for an English made Rifle. I could find nothing wrong with it and did in fact recommend it to someone in my family as well as a friend, both females, as the stock ( made for a female )felt and shouldered nicely. But remember they also make these rifles for men with a stock for men

They also have come out with a new double which is nice but overpriced at 150,000.00. Especially since you can get a double from Searcy in Calif for a LOT less and they are VERY nice doubles. If anyone is looking to purchase a new double, I would start in your back yard. some of the cost of an English double is in the name IMHO anyway.

I shared this privately and they suggested I post it for all.

April, first, thank you for this report, it is always interesting to know whats out there. But , I kicked and screamed when my husband bought his 340 Weatherby. I would also be afraid to use it, if I got a scratch on it, I would have a heart attack. We have rifles with the Mauser 98 action and we like them, but I think if I was to have a rifle like that made I would choose the pre 64 model 70 action. I know Brent, Ben Lamb, Big Fin, Guy and other's have rifles like that, but I am poor country girl :(

However, I do know men who say it is silly to buy an expensive rifle but will buy a bigger, and nicer pick up than they need. :)

April, first, thank you for this report, it is always interesting to know whats out there. But , I kicked and screamed when my husband bought his 340 Weatherby. I would also be afraid to use it, if I got a scratch on it, I would have a heart attack. We have rifles with the Mauser 98 action and we like them, but I think if I was to have a rifle like that made I would choose the pre 64 model 70 action. I know Brent, Ben Lamb, Big Fin, Guy and other's have rifles like that, but I am poor country girl :(

However, I do know men who say it is silly to buy an expensive rifle but will buy a bigger, and nicer pick up than they need. :)

As an owner of a nicer (but not bigger) pickup than I need, I will say, if we only had what we need, we would still be living in caves. Or less. :)

Cheyenne, I have heard you might have a nice rifle or two. And what's a nice rifle without scratches? I sometimes more than scratch my guns, unfortunately :(. The latest scratch is going to end up costing 30% more what the entire gun cost me to begin with. Such is the hazard of hunting with a nice gun.

A Rigby rifle, even a new bolt rifle is a bit beyond my means. But then a friend has an old Rigby, original to, and documented to be on the British/Irish Team back in the 1870s for international matches and I WOULD buy something like that, and use it, if only I had seen it first.

I don't think I want to pull the trigger on a .340W weather it is nice or not. April might gasp over this confession, but as much as I love British shotguns over American shotguns by a substantial margin, I love American rifles more than British. I don't pretend to understand that. I'm not entirely rational. And after all that, I have a bid riding on a French shotgun right now! No, I certainly do not need it... :)

Brent,

Touche --:love:

I hope you get that shotgun, good luck.

As mentioned we also lean toward American made rifles, Win 71, pre 64 model 70 Win over the 98, etc---but except for the 348, I do like the British calibers. 275, 300, 375 H & H's . A 7 x 57 followed us home and it is nice ( I guess that is German,).

We are looking at a combination that has been offered to us, but was wondering how accurate the rifle barrel is if it is on the bottom, I sent a message to April, have have not heard back. I actually see some good in it as a sled and trapping firearm as we might knock down a duck and a caribou the same day. ---got a bit off track here didn't I

Anyway, well played Brent, great post

Noharleyyet, What relation was Eleanor to John? Granddaughter perhaps? ;)

Panda, a combo gun might be pretty useful to you, but for me, I can't find the utility in it. I once owned a Stevens/Savage .410/.22 that was my mother's. But she ever used it for, I have no idea - I think she probably shot it once and so she called it hers, even if it was just one of grandpa's lesser used arms. It was in horrible condition.

Do you know the name Paul Errington? He used to be here, and was an important figure in population regulation and density dependence, student of Leopold, and the very first USFW Co-op Unit. Anyway, he died back in the 60s, but his widow, Carolyn was this wonderful woman who hung his 1899 Savage over her fireplace next to her baby grand piano with a couple of muskrat traps for company. It was very well worn and with notches carved in the forearm, but probably perfectly serviceable. THAT is the kind of rifle I would love to own. I hope her kids and grandkids appreciate it and have it or arranged for it land somewhere befitting it.

If I was into smokeless cartridges and younger, I would certainly be attracted by a certain .348 Winchester owned by someone "Up North" who used it on bears - Big Bears! Yes indeed. History is everything. :)

There is definitely something to be said of the fine European firearms makers.
They seem to do elegant, where American makers seem more gawdy, at least to me.

Panda,
The combination gun may be just your ticket! A coworker has a Savage 24 in 222 Rem over 20 ga. He has taken many deer, along with turkeys with the same firearm.
Perfectly practical, i guess you could say.

While i would love to own a Rigby, Westly Richards, Holland & Holland, or dare i say Dakota or Cooper, my finances, nor my marriage would support such a decision.

My search right now is centered upon a suitable action to build a proper long range target rifle.
Unless a Ruger 77 in 25-06 comes along at a price i cannot walk away from.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back