Riders, ranchers seek common ground

Ithaca 37

MURPHY — Cameron and Brandon Wells snake up a sandy trail to the top of a hill at Hemingway Butte on pint-sized motorcycles.

The 6- and 8-year-old sons of Craig and Julie Wells of Meridian are among the thousands of motorcyclists and all-terrain vehicle riders who flock each year to the Owyhee Front to enjoy its extensive trail system. Dressed in helmets and leather, the two boys demonstrate skill and care under their father's close supervision.

"They have learned how to drive safe and stay on the trails," Julie Wells said.

The debate over the future of the Owyhee Mountains was barely on the Wells family's radar as they spent Sunday enjoying their main weekend pastime, riding motorcycles in Owyhee County. They and the few riders at the popular Hemingway Butte trailhead Sunday morning either supported an effort to protect wilderness, ranchers and motorized access called the Owyhee Initiative, or said they were unaware of it.

But they all agreed that riders need to consider the rights of others and protect the beauty and open space that attracts them to Owyhee County.

"I don't have a problem with it," said Craig Wells, a sales representative.

Motorized recreation has increased dramatically in the past decade, and Wells said that like other recreation, it must be regulated. But his family and other riders Sunday showed they know the rules and try to follow them.

Glenn Woods of Nampa, a retired Federal Aviation Administration employee, unloaded two ATVs to ride with granddaughter Michelle. He said he hates to see the need for trail designation, but with the increased use, he believes it's necessary.

"I can remember when there wasn't anybody out here,............."

http://www.idahostatesman.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040531/NEWS01/405310306/1002

Thanks Ithica! You made me stop and take a look at what I really believe. I discovered, somewhat to my surprise, that I am opposed to any form of motor vehicle recreation on our wilderness trails. I realized that "common ground" is no more than a compromise of parties who are considering only their own interests. That simply doesn't work for me. We have "common ground" the Native American from his home. The same for much of our wild life. I wonder if we could see our planet somehow in the future say a hundred years from now how our attitudes and actions might change. I wonder if they would change!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back