Rangefinder instead of Binoculars?

deltaecho

Looking for some advice on a question I have:

I have no rangefinder at this time and was wondering if one of the 6x models could do double-duty as a monocular and of course...rangefinder. Is the glass clear enough in real world conditions for short/medium distance use (less than a mile)?

Some background...with a tight budget, over the last couple years, I have acquired a GPS unit - etrex 20, and a set of Nikon Action Extreme 10x50 binos.
The GPS has been handy because it keeps us on public - huntable lands as well as State/Federal land that is open for hunting. As for the Binoculars...I found out that the Nikon's are nice optically...but the model I have is too bulky.

I also have "guide" responsibilities for family members using youth - reduced recoil loads, so I want to be able to give them good info on how far they can shoot when we get to a hunting location. I know that my range estimations are sketchy at best.

I bow and rifle hunt deer in cental North Dakota...mainly flat/rolling terrain. I do get into some Badlands like areas on occasion.

So the main question is...for spotting deer hiding in groves...brush areas...buffalo berry draws at less than a mile...would a rangefinder work well enough so I could get by without also lugging along my Bino's?

Resources limited...Thanks for your time/advice!

I wouldn't recommend it. Even a mediocre pair of binos is likely to be better fo glassing than the rangefinder.

I have a harness sold by Cablas that holds my binos against my chest and is also attached to my rangefinder which is in a pouch on my belt. Keeps it all handy and out of the way at the same time.

Sounds good...thanks for all the advice. I can now simplify my Rangefinder shopping plans...any suggestions for a good budget Rangefinder? 300 yard shots or less will be the norm.

I concur with all the other's advice about using the rangefinder as binoculars.

Have you ever thought of using reduced recoil loads for practice and having your children hunt with full power ammo? Trust me, they will not feel the recoil when the time comes to shoot a deer.

I bought my rangefinder used off ebay. Get a rangefinder that will range at least twice as far as you plan to shoot. The only time a rangefinder gets it's advertised maximum range is under optimal conditions. Fog messes with all rangefinders.

Here's a pretty decent deal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-Range...421190?hash=item2ee8371b46:g:oRgAAOSwI-BWQOB8

I have missed more chances at shots when bow hunting because of trying to use my rangefinder. Now I leave it in the truck and limits my shots to 40 and under. So if I could carry just one it would be binos.

Despite what your gonna read on many forums, a pair of $80-$100 bushnells will find you deer. In the end, we will all want better glass until we get swaros. it's just more important to steady lower quality glass (tripod or shooting sticks) to be able to spot movement well.

I use my rangefinder for quick glances while hunting whitetails where 75yds is a long ways. But for anything even approaching serious glassing binos would be much better. The Wapiti LTs from schmaltz would probably whoop the pants of any rangefinder for true glassing and at a good price:
http://theronoptics.com/WAPITI_LT_BINOCULARS.html

If you want a bit more mainstream, the Yosemite's from Leupold are very good, IMO, for their price.
You can get those fro schmaltz as well. The 6X models Santa brought by sons impress the heck out of me for what they cost.
http://predatoroptics.info/catalog/...8&StockStatus=&MfgName=Leupold&ret_id=1185759

IF, I was going to try a rangefinder I would keep it to close range possibly bow range only. Past that even a cheap compact pair would likely be better. Also I would get something like a leica that had really good glass and not a lot of stuff in the lense other than the sight dot. I personally carry both. Good luck.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fingelfinger
Back