Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Quick Meat Hunt

Kiwi

My freezer was getting low so decided it was time for a meat hunt. I took the rifle as I haven't shot a deer with my bow since Oct last year.

After leaving the car park, with my overnight gear, I spotted a red deer hind and fawn. At this time of year the fawn would probably be fine without the hind but decided to wait and see if a yearling appeared. After a about 5 minutes a spiker appeared and decided to take it.

Shot from here:

Shot it through neck at 150 yards. Nice clean kill and it should be excellent eating.

Over the next month its the roar in New Zealand and I will being trying to get a stag with my bow. I'll post a report next month, but might be scenery only!

Yummy!! Well done!
Good luck with your bow. Post pics - scenery welcome...

You guys don't have hunting seasons do you?Interesting how you can go hunt when you feel like it.I'm guessing theres not many hunters there.I'd love to get out there to hunt but the steepness of those mountains is scary really.Not sure my body could handle the hike into the backcountry there anymore

That's right mixedbag, no season so I hunt all year round.

We do have quite a few hunters here in NZ but as there is a lot of public land (about 30%) that can be hunted, all year round, you can normally avoid the crowds. The south island is have fewer people and more public land so easier to avoid the crowds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rcb2000
Back