Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Quick breakfast in elk country?

Oatmeal (quick oats= faster cooking) with a scoop of protein powder, milled flax seed, and few resins for added carbs. Whole wheat bagels for added protein and complex carbs (slower burning). Carbs for energy and protein for muscle repair.

I don't like to waste time cooking pre dawn either. Make it quick and good and get into what you are there for.
I do like to make up little zip lock bags with powdered milk and toasted muesli, just add water and your away. A few bars during the day, some nuts, dried fruit, seeds, chocolate and water with hydrolite or electrolytes mixed in and im done until im back at the bag or where i stop for the night.

I like two packets of instant cheese and bacon grits. You can stir in extra cheese and any sort of meat. Quick, warm and filling.

1 cup of oats + 1 scoop of whey protein. Make it as thick as a no bake cookie or thinner if you want. Cold or hot.

Sorry to go health freak on you, but it's what I eat every AM for months at a time when I'm dieting.

For a quick breakfast with no cooking, I either have a muesli cereal or homemade heavy bread, like apple, pumpkin or zucchini.

If firing up a stove is an option - I like to have breakfast burritos. I make them at home before leaving for the hunt. They can warm up while I'm getting dressed, then I eat them on the trail or while glassing.

I finally settled on a big bowl of Honey Bunches of Oats (with milk) for breakfast and two venison sandwiches for lunch.

The breakfast burrito idea is a good one, good call Hornart! I used to make them up for weekend trout fishing / grouse hunting trips in college. Just make them up with whatever you like, wrap them in tin foil, and freeze them. Throw them down next to the fire, and let them warm up. That's good eating, right there. I am going to have to make some up next week in prep for my WY Archery hunt.

Last edited:
Thanks for the ideas. I like the breakfast burrito idea don't know why I never thought of it. I don't like oatmeal but grits are good and the suggestion on the mountain house breakfast meal I never had any are they any good.

did not read through all replies but my buddies and me on skiing road trips used to make up French toast before we left let it cool and place back in bread bag. in mornings just throw on griddle to warm up and throw some syrup on it. maybe a little deer or elk sausage on the side. very quick and warm meal. if you keep bag closed tight still tastes good several days later.

usually there are still hot coals in the fire from the night before and you can throw the burritos on as soon as you get up and they will be ready to go as soon as your dressed, you can have anything you like in them and they work out great for my crew, good luck to you all

Breakfast Burritos. Make them at home, and keep frozen until ready to use. Then just thaw out the day before, and warm them up. Usually the coals in the fire from the night before are enough to get them warm.

I like to stop by DQ the night before and pick up a Peanut Buster Parfait. I put it in the freezer for the morning drive. Sometimes it's a bit thick so I stop by the 7-11 for a Slurpee to wash it down. Protein, dairy, sugar all in one convenient meal-and no cooking.

I was not a big fan of oatmeal either. I then tried it with brown sugar and chunky peanut butter. Now its my goto breakfast when I'm at camp.

Toby

I prefer the instant oatmeal and toss in some walnuts.

Another option are blueberry bagels with peanut butter spread on them. In fact, I sometimes have one of those in a sandwich bag for eating later in the day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back