Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Question regarding the importance of scent elimination when antelope hunting

Goatshoes

Thanks to all before me who have posted up some great information. I spent the better part of an evening go back a ways into old posts and enjoyed learning from them.

One subject matter that I have difficulty getting clarity on is that of the importance of scent elimination when antelope hunting.

Is eliminating scent/staying down wind important to success when the goal is to take your animal at 300 yards or less? On my first and only antelope hunt I used a scent elimination product and was also well downwind so I really don't know if that was key or not.

Thank you,
Steve

Personally I think all those scent elimination products are just gimmicks. Keep the wind in your face and that's all you need.

I had my last buck, the one in the avatar, wind me at 100 yards in a circling wind. That being said, its my opinion that if the wind is right it doesn't matter and if its wrong it doesn't matter. If you were hunting at bow ranges maybe it would give you an extra second or two, but with a rifle I think its of little importance.

Mythbusters had a show about this topic. They tried all kinds of scent elimination products, and the dog sniffed them out every time. Stay down wind and you will never have a problem.

Thanks guys. I will buy the argument that the scent elimination products are of little use. I googled up some posts regarding the Mythbusters episode and I'm convinced. Never felt that strong about those products to begin with.

But in general it appears, from the responses, that you still work the wind because scent does matter when it comes to pronghorn hunting?

But in general it appears, from the responses, that you still work the wind because scent does matter when it comes to pronghorn hunting?

Most definitely. I put an arrow in an antelope but it was a terrible shot. I found him and followed him about 2 miles. I held up a Montana decoy in front of me like a shield and stayed on his six. He never seemed alarmed and I was gaining on him. During that pursuit the wind changed direction twice and blew towards him, both times he bolted like lightning. Also, he had blood coming out of his nose and mouth and he still scented me when the wind blew wrong.

Eastman talks about how he will approach up wind of an antelope at rifle ranges rather than shoot in a strong crosswind which is a much bigger issue on antelope in the 200+ yard range.

My experience is that antelope trigger on movement more like a turkey than a deer who is half blind but triggers on scent.

The biggest benefit is that they don't have perfumes to add any more scent to your bouquet. Beyond that, most of the "active" ingredients are anti-bacterial. That means they do a pretty good job of preventing you from making new b.o., but they don't do a very good job of "eliminating" smells that are already there. I've become a regular user of the soaps, but I think the sprays are nearly useless. I can definitely tell that it takes me much longer to notice my own stink if I'm using scent eliminating soaps compared to regular soaps. I also use laundry detergent on my hunting clothes, but mostly only because I buy on sale so it doesn't cost any more than my regular detergent.
As far as actually covering up scent, carbon does a decent job of absorbing odor, but it would take a whole lot more carbon to absorb your smell than you could ever put on with a spray bottle. I had better luck sneaking up on antelope the year I spilled diesel on my hunting boots than I've ever had using scent eliminator sprays - probably had a lot to do with all the diesel pumps at the water troughs in that area and wouldn't work as well anywhere else.
Bottom line, skip the sprays and fancy clothes, but you have to buy soap and laundry detergent anyway...

Back