Caribou Gear

Processing time?

idi1796

As I am researching for my fathers and I first antelope hunt in Oct, a question I have for those that have experienced it is how much time does it typically take a processor to have a couple antelope done? Let's say it's during rifle season, not opening weekend. I'm just trying to put some timelines together as far as how many days I need to allot for the trip

Thanks!

Ps, researching all the units and access to each is a lot of work but I am a research junkie so I love it! GoHunt and this site has been an awesome resource so far!

I hunt in eastern Wyoming, and it only took a few days to get everything done. I got mine on the first day so we actually had some stuff done for the last few days of the hunt. Everyone has different policies so you may want to check several processors within the unit/units you are applying for. Some processors actually have trade policies although this can be a pain if your meat came from a poorly handled animal. Others will freeze and ship. Also, donating the meat to those in need is an option. I did this once and received a very humbling note from an older lady down on her luck.

Just narrow down your units and do some calling. For me that helped decide what my preferred unit would end up being. Just google wild game processing for some of the towns in the unit. Also check with taxidermists, I was lucky to find a two in one.

When doing any calling for information I found that taxidermist and meat processors gave pretty reliable information because their income depends on you being successful. Others are guarded with good info and game department officials tell the same things to everyone. Good luck planning, its half the fun.

best thing I've found is to call one or two in the area. they can generally give you a time frame. The one which is in Rifle,Co said they would do an elk in 1 day if need be for out of town people. they put the locals on hold is what they told me..never got a chance to use them but I thought that was pretty good service

Make sure you ask about the cost of extras like sausage and jerky. This can add another $100 +++ dollars to your total. It also adds time and some place replace yours with other animals to save time. Get a detailed cost sheet for every thing. Also 10 lbs of meat will end up as 5 lbs jerky.

Bring your goats home in a 120 qt cooler, on ice, and do them yourself. Easily done with your Havalon and a fillet knife. Depending on how many you have, it's easier to separate the muscles each day in camp and put back in the cooler. Take your chunks to Cinder Butte and have them burger it for you.

If you want it ground/steaked, it won't take long. If you want them to make any exotic stuff, then you had better be ready to wait. Then, you hope that you get your own stuff back.

Depending on the regs, kill it and IMMEDIATELY field strip it (cut back straps off, cut off all quarters and whatever other meat that you want to keep. Go in after the tenderloins, too. I n Wyoming, you are required to remove them or they WILL fine you if you get checked. It is good to go ahead and bone them out, but not absolutely necessary.

Put the meat in a bag and put it in a cooler full of ice immediately. Keep the water drained and the ice replaced and it will be good for days.

I put it in plastic bags to keep the ice/water off of the meat and burry it in ice. Antelope meat is great, but it HAS to be removed and cooled immediately for the best results. It is more critical-as far as I am concerned-to do it with antelope, than with deer or elk.

Thanks for the advice so far. I will definitely look around the areas I'm looking to hunt to have some processors in mind just in case. Ideally I would keep them nice and cold in my coolers and take them to the processor here in town, Cinder Butte like Bob sudgested. I would love to process my own game but space and equipment is just not available to me yet. Some day I'd love to have the perfect space for it.

I would just want burger and steaks so super easy and quick.

I would love to process my own game but space and equipment is just not available to me yet. Some day I'd love to have the perfect space for it.

I would just want burger and steaks so super easy and quick.

All you need is a knife and some table space. Freezer paper, vacuum sealer, or ziploc bags after that. Grinders can be found for cheap.

All you need is a knife and some table space. Freezer paper, vacuum sealer, or ziploc bags after that. Grinders can be found for cheap.

That is all I have and it works great. Got a cheap grinder for Christmas a couple years ago and it helps just do it on the table and counter and kitchen sink. On my antelope hunt this year I had a 150 quart cooler and had three quartered and a cape and kept it iced and drained water and they eat good. We had a collapsible table we worked with at camp to clean the hair off and trimming, getting them cooled off seemed to help from what I have heard. From kill to cooler no more than two hours. Good luck.

I've managed the last 2 years doing 3 antelope with a cutting board, havalon, fillet knife and a kitchenaid grinder attachment in a 1 bedroom apartment so I don't see why there is any need to pay a processor. You will have done half the work if you quick quarter in the field, even more so if you boned out the meat.

Back