Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Prince of Wales Sitka

pointingdogsrule

Hey guys (and gals):

I've always wanted to do a Sitka deer hunt. I have lodging on Prince of Wales Island. I would like to do this trip. Most likely rifle, however, I would not rule out archery. Has anyone ever hunted Sitka on POW? Time of year? High or low elevations? Any other info that would be useful.

Thanks in advance.

I have never done that hunt but I just bought my 2017 deer tag before the price doubles on Jan 1.
I plan on going in mid Nov when they are rutting and respond readily to calls. Also I will be shooting some Barrows Goldeneyes and Sea Ducks.

I went a couple of years ago with a couple of guys from this site. We had a great time. I went during fall bear season. Several of them had bear tags and a couple of us had deer tags. We did see some deer and two were killed if I remember correctly. We covered a lot of ground up high but never saw much up there. Several locals said the Bucks were probably mid mountain in the timber. We saw lots of bears and caught lots of salmon.

I have never done that hunt but I just bought my 2017 deer tag before the price doubles on Jan 1.
I plan on going in mid Nov when they are rutting and respond readily to calls. Also I will be shooting some Barrows Goldeneyes and Sea Ducks.

Thanks for the reminder. Just purchased a tag.

I went a couple of years ago with a couple of guys from this site. We had a great time. I went during fall bear season. Several of them had bear tags and a couple of us had deer tags. We did see some deer and two were killed if I remember correctly. We covered a lot of ground up high but never saw much up there. Several locals said the Bucks were probably mid mountain in the timber. We saw lots of bears and caught lots of salmon.

Thanks, I'd really like to go during the November rut if possible. Whitetail always seems to get in the way.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tomcat1984
Back