Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Powder Life

markwilks

I found a pound of H4831 I’ve had in a storage unit for 2 years. Does powder go bad? Should I reload with it or dispose of it? I do t even know how I would properly dispose of it.

As I recall Hodgdon was founded on selling surplus mil powder that had been in storage for years before it was surplused out and sold, I think as 4831 original in paper containers.The ball powders have an even longer shelf life, just store in cool DRY place.

Precision long range shooters would frown on old powder. Hunters and plinkers would use it until it's gone then look for more. As said above, if it doesn't smell rank, use it!

If it is in a plastic container, and the cap is still on it causing a good seal, it should be good if it had been stored under normal (temp controlled) conditions. If it is in a metal can, pour some out into a container. If you see an orange dust coming off of it, the container has rusted on the inside. I wouldn't trust it. I had 4 unopened cans of IMR 4350 that rusted on the inside, all the same lot #. I brought them back to the local store where I bought them and they contacted their distributor. He told me to dump the powder and send the empty cans to the distributor, and provided me the address. I did so, and he shipped me 4 new cans in about a week after receiving the empties I sent him.

As long as it was in a sealed container with no moisture/humidity, it should be fine.

Back