Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

PLB question

HighDesertSage

Does any one know what "Compass Safe Distance" means? I purchased a ResQlink to carry with me on trips and the manual says it has a compass safe distance of 3.3'. I'm just curious what that means.

Google search:

It’s the minimum distance at which equipment may be safely positioned from a compass without specified design values of maximum deviation being exceeded under all operating conditions

The compass. However, the interference should only apply when the PLB is activated. Easy way to check. Just set the compass on the table and move the PLB closer and closer. If the compass needle moves then there's your answer. You could also do this in test mode on the PLB to figure out when the interference happens. Anything with a strong electric field will skew a compass needle since it relies on magnetic fields. Hence the declination from true north caused by the changes in the earth's magnetic field as you travel around the world.

The compass. However, the interference should only apply when the PLB is activated. Easy way to check. Just set the compass on the table and move the PLB closer and closer. If the compass needle moves then there's your answer. You could also do this in test mode on the PLB to figure out when the interference happens. Anything with a strong electric field will skew a compass needle since it relies on magnetic fields. Hence the declination from true north caused by the changes in the earth's magnetic field as you travel around the world.

Thank you for the clarification.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back