Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Permethrin Ad - Caution with fishing

katqanna

I remember the subjects of bug repellants have come up here on the forum before. Recently I have seen this Permathrin ad on the side bar a few times and meant to look it up, but with a concussed brain one thing drives out another until this afternoon.

I have grown pyrethrum as a natural insect repellent for decades, knowing that you have to be careful with cats and water. This is the foundation for the synthetic version Permathrin, which warns about it being lethal to cats and highly toxic to fish (page 8), binds to the soil in water and can persist for over a year (pg. 7).

Yet when I clicked on the banner ad page to see if it warned about using near water and the highly toxic effects on fish, it did not, instead saying, "Best Uses: Multisport, hunting, fishing, international travel"

Just wanted to throw out that anglers might want to avoid using it fishing.

Carnage, yep. I have had concussions before, but not like this one. Finally got in to the chiropractor about the neck today and the cracking sounded uber scary. He even commented on it, but some of the neck pressure is now alleviated. Doing physical therapy for the speech and memory, feel like a kindergartener. Thank god for modern computers, spell check and keyboards or I would be severely out of commission and frustrated. There have been posts I tried to type up here, but after rereading sounded like goobly goop after a number of attempts.

Southwind, on this forum, I would have to ask if you were intending it for the larger wild version or just some domestic cat? Never can tell here. ;) Pic from "Stalking the Mountain Lion with Casey Anderson," right here in Montana.

4ee44c5236e12.image.jpg

Best wishes for a speedy recovery Katqanna.

Actually loves cats, hate the feral variety. That is very good info though, I use Permathrin during turkey season in the spring for tick defense. Works wonderfully when applied to clothing and then dried completely.

Has anyone heard/read/researched anything about potential damaging effects or side effects for humans? I've always been hesitant to put it on my clothes (we use it to control bugs around the animals) because of all the warning they print on the concentrated versions. It seems that if it is damaging to cats and fish there is the potential for it to be damaging, while probably not lethal, to humans?

Couldn't be as bad as DEET. That stuff about killed me in Alaska when I took a dip after applying. Not good to eat! Been putting it all over me for the last 20 years and just realized I have grown another ear out of my neck.

Has anyone heard/read/researched anything about potential damaging effects or side effects for humans? I've always been hesitant to put it on my clothes (we use it to control bugs around the animals) because of all the warning they print on the concentrated versions. It seems that if it is damaging to cats and fish there is the potential for it to be damaging, while probably not lethal, to humans?

There is a lot lacking in human studies or even specific studies on the rats/mice. The Permathrin link mentioned some. This factsheet about side effects (also called Elimite) stated more of what has not been studied and its applications to humans. This Lindane (another brand name using permethrin) listed more of the deaths and side effects , warning against use for elderly, youth and adults weighing less than 110 lbs. They make a certain amount the dose, so if you weigh more and exceed their dose amount, you risk the side effects, oh, also if you have a compromised immune system. You really have to shop around for information to get the better overview unfortunately.

The Journal of Pesticide Reform had an article on it and stated among all the other adverse effects like it being a carcinogen and mutagenic, "Permethrin affects both male and female reproductive systems. It binds to receptors for androgen, a male sex hormone, in skin cells from human males, causing researchers to 'advise protection from any form of contact or ingestion of the pyrethroids.' "

Here is the EPA factsheet on it
. I read some articles last night that they were going to begin doing studies on the hormone disruptor aspect.

Southwind, thank you

Thanks Kat for all that research! I'm betting my wife won't want us to use it since we haven't had kids yet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back