Packout

padrebowhunter

Ok so I am in the best shape I have been in in a long time. I want to know if you are a backpack hunter and if you are, what is the farthest you have packed in killed a bull and been able to pack out your elk and camp? Were you by yourself or with others and if so how many? Love to hear the story.

My son (14), dad (67) and I backpack hunt every year. Not sure the farthest pack out, probably 3 or so miles with a decent trail for a good portion. Young bull, camp was another trip.

Vertical feet and blowdowns/brush/rocks is what I base how far I'll hunt on. Packing a rear quarter of a decent bull through a steep mine field gets old quick. Plus it's dangerous.

My personal opinion is too much meat gets left behind every year from guys over extending themselves.

Padre- you get in shape for a particular hunt? Or just lifestyle change?

14 miles round trip, 2 trips, 2 hunters, found out later there was a atv trail 1/4 of a mile from the kill site. wouldn't of mattered we didn't have an atv.

6 miles each way 3000' elevation different me and buddy who was there just to help me pack meat out. from a spike camp shot a muley buck packed him out that night 1 trip each, went back in next day spotted for elk opener shot good bull next morning. packed him out in 2 trips (1 per day)each of nothing but meat and horns. took day off at base camp then the worst hike of all was going back in to break spike camp and carry it out. the rough math for my trip was 70+ miles in mountain miles hiked for just me in the 2 weeks i was there. if weather is cool you can take your time hang meat and get it out just be prepared for it. good boots, good pack, lots of rope, enough meat bags and a good headlamp and you will get it done. i also will admit i like using a walking stick to help with leverage

I figured since I used to hump 20+ miles in the Marine Corps with 80lb packs while in my early 20's I could easily hump 3+ mile with an 80 lb pack in my mid 40's. The difference on this trip was the 3k plus elevation gain and 10 degree temperatures.

Me and and buddy hiked into the La Garrita Wilderness in Colorado last year and it was brutally cold with very steep terrain. It was exciting being in wild country with lots of elk and bear sign but we were very uncomfortable with our heavy packs with snow and wind. The elk were there but the wind was swirling and we kept getting busted. It was my first backpack hunt and I learned I'd rather make two round trips carrying 50lb loads then attempt to make one trip carrying 80+. We're looking at renting horses for our next hunt.

MtnWest, I guess my answer would be yes to both. I am active year round and do it to stay fit but the hunting is always at the forefront as I prepare year after year. I have another 20lbs I would like to lose but this last scouting trip I did 10 miles with a 40lb pack and was encouraged with how far I have come in 4 years.

Good for you! Good luck with the next 20. A 40lb bag of salt lives in my pack most of the offseason and I add another bag to mimick a large hind quarter when I go hiking every so often. Could be packing a moose out for my dad this fall but the country over by Wyo is more hospitable than hells canyon thankfully. There is actually space between the 40' contour lines on a map.

LOL, I hunted Hell's last year and doing the Pioneers this year. Loving the tough stuff, more animals and less people.

The first one was only two miles but it about killed me because I didn't know what I was doing. Now they are usually about 3 miles off trail. Four is the most I've done (a smallish 5 point bull). It is easiest to do half in the evening and half the next morning. Take it easy - I said take it easy :). Take a load smaller than you know you can take and go slow and steady. It is no big deal to spend another hour or eight getting it out and if you get sick from overexerting yourself you are screwed, and maybe in a dangerous situation. Joe Gutkowski told me how he did it in his seventies - cut a piece off, take it back to the truck, repeat until done, try not to break your leg. :D

I'm usually with a partner on dry ground but I've done several by myself in one trip using a sled.

Last edited:
My worst pack out so far was 5 years ago in the Missouri breaks. I arrowed about a 2 year old cow elk the last day of our hunt. My friend and I took her quartered out and our camp out 4 miles in one trip. It was 101 degrees when we got back to the truck. We felt exhausted and probably had a mild case of dehydration and heat stroke. It wasn't the mountains but was a tuff one still.

Does it have to be a bull? Guys pack cows out all the time, just saying, at least I have and do.
I like to use a horse now. >Backstraps and/or rack and tendys, liver and such go in the pack.
4 quarters and camp goes on the rig.
2 animals then 2 trips. A man can do more, but return trips are fun. Sometimes a bear has gotten to your stash, maybe run into a herd,
find a new trail, different stuff. Take in more - more beauty, a beer or two for the hike all with a huge smile.

When we go in and spike, the rule is go big (big is relative meaning bull, as I am a meat eater, not a trophy hunter)
or go home to make it worth it.
~ 2.7 miles in I think, depends sometimes a little further or higher so longer.
Glad you are in sweet shape and ready! Good luck.

Last edited:
All of the packout's kind of blend together in my mind anymore. The big question I always ask myself before pulling the trigger / release is - Can I get the meat out without some spoiling?

If Yes, then the elk goes down. If Maybe - or No, then it gets a pass.

That kind of logic has produced some really rough packs. But I haven't learned my lesson yet.

Mine came last year. Hunting alone, I put on waders in my wall tent (next to my truck), crossed a small river, took off the waders and hiked "straight up" for at least a half mile. Hit a ridge, got into elk, shot the only bull (young 5X6) a little far back. The herd of around 100 took off up the drainage. I followed tracks for about 3 miles, going from dry ground to snow ( up to a foot and a half). I caught up to the herd, and dropped the elk I had wounded earlier. It was late and in thick grizzly country. I quartered the animal and hauled the quarters a couple hundred yards away and buried them with grasses and peed all around it. Packed out the antlers and backstraps + tenderloins that night. The next morning I got up early and started hiking by 7 am in 0 degree weather. I only had one day and felt a mildly frantic urgency to get the animal out. I again, crossed the river and headed 4 miles back. I left my rifle to save weight and had a dandy muley buck walk 20 yards in front of me. I loaded a hind quarter and front shoulder into my pack (not boned out. I know, I know.) I carried it back to the top of the steep half mile descent. I left that meat there and returned for the other hind and front quarter. I got them loaded and hiked them all the way back to the river, dumped them, went straight up, loaded the other two, carried it down to the river, put on my waders (that had iced over soles (temp never got above 2 above that day) and carried them back to my wall tent and went back and grabbed the other two. When all was said and done, I hiked ~ 16 miles in 12 hours with very little stopping time. I had the runs that night and was completely wiped out the next day. Would I do it again? absolutely. Any guesses what a bone-in hind quarter plus front shoulder of a 3-4 year old bull weighs? Hide on, lower third of the leg removed.

age is relative - a 3 year old bull on a texas feeder might go 1000 pounds on the hoof?
:)
Dinkshooter posted weights of pieces from his trophy a while back, and seemed right on.
anywhere from 80-100 pounds.

one thing I like to do when packing an elk out is go a few hunderd yards at a time then stash it and go back for more. I kind of shuffle the whole load as I go slowly working towards the truck. this gives my out of shape body a few minutes to rest while walking back to get more empty.

longest I think is " it seems" 3 miles up - 3 miles down
Head/rack was the heaviest and the hardest being the last load .
:hump:

2 years ago packed in on a Friday night by myself pry not my best idea...... Anyways I packed in late the night got camp set up and went to bed around 2 am back up at 4 to the sound of elk buggling directly in front of me so it was go time got dressed grabed my pack and my bow got down there got set up and had elk all over me by sun up, had a really nice 6 by 6 come by me at what I thought was 40 yards nope 32 shot right over his back anyways got in on a 5 by 5 and made a perfect shot on him at 22 yards around 10 o clock that morning had him gutted out by noon and I was packin him out by 2 ended up getting everything back to my truck late Sunday night so 2 miles in 2 miles out wasn't bad at all took all my camp gear out first so I had a dry pack besides food and water and loaded my pack heavy with meat and got him out! Plan on doing the same this year!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdK
Back