Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

P&Y said no new record from ohio

Just my 2 cents worth, as far as I'm concerned P&Y missed the boat on this record buck, and will miss a lot more if they continue thier outdated policies on let offs etc.
If it were taken with a cross bow, maybe I could see thier point as cross bows are not legal in all states.
The last time I looked seriously at compound bows, it was getting harder to find one that would meet with P&Y's criteria, and the market place changes pretty fast.... which it doesn't appear that P&Y is keeping up with. Just my opinion.WD

This is post on the bow board. I might as well say my opinion. I would love to have a whitetail half the size of it. I believe P & Y has to have draw the line some were on let off. 50,65,75 I do not know.

My bow got stolen 6 or 7 years ago and I have not replace it yet.

John

They do have to draw the line and they did...at 65%. Now I don't know about you guys, but killing a deer like that with any bow would be worth more to me than for it to be recognized by any organization as #1. These organizations do a lot of good and I support them in their efforts, but they are not why I hunt.

The deer is a trophy wether Pope and young or boone and crocket or anyone else for that matter, recognizes it or not. The club has a simple qualification requirement for entry into the club, max.65% letoff on compound bows! as said they have to draw the line somewhere! at the time the standards were set most bows were 50%-60% letoff.I dont think it would be fair to change it now! ,if a person wants the recognition and royalities that come with a record deer, then they should know the standards and comply with them! just my .02!!

Have read an artical in a mag by chuck Adams before on this subject. He said that when P & Y came up with 65 % let off, that was the max bows were at the time. He went on to say that almost all bows can be adjusted down to 65%.
If you want to play the game, you follow the rules.

John

Seems to me that most of the noise is coming from the Beatty camp. First and foremost one must remember that Pope and Young is a club with a charter and bylaws. It publishes a record book and can set its standards for entry any way it chooses(or votes to). We all seem to agree, that deer is one hell of a buck. Whether or not it qualifies for P&Y is irrelevant. Unless entry is more for the glory of the hunter than the deer.

Personally I think archery hunting has gotten a bit carried away insofar as technological advances. We're talking about a form of hunting that was reintroduced specifically by hunters who wanted to up the effort ante and challenge by taking away the range and easy accuracy of rifles. Virtually every single "advance" in archery since the advent of the compound has been geared towards making bowhunting easier and not necessarily more enriching or rewarding as an experience. Organizations like Buckmasters, IMO, "talks the talk" when it comes to the challenge of the hunt and respecting your quarry etc. but when you catch one of their episodes on TNN you realize that the challenge is more about not tripping over the 4-wheeler, than the hunt itself. What they actually show on the tube says to me that if you don't have the newest junk on the market and didn't kill a "Book Buck" then your hunt failed. I don't buy that for a minute.

Gentlemen, we hang too much crap on our bows as it is. If not for clubs such as P&Y imposing some form of restraint, our bows would have frickin' heatseeking missiles on them.

This argument is all about the AMO. If animals killed with the latest and greatest from the archery industry are not eligible for entry that kills the vast majority of their marketing strategy.

Granted, I havent been keeping up to speed on whats out there but...when was the last time a major bow maker introduced a bow specifically for finger shooters?

I have never hunted with a bow and I always know thet P & Y had a 65 % limit on the let off. I am sure the hunter from Ohio knew before he went out in the field that day. It was only after he got the monster that he cried foul on the let off rule.

John

I've Learned LONG ago that the "LET OFF" is from the "ANCHOR POINT".. THUS, If ever checked in the field, BEcause Idaho has a 65%MAX I believe.. YOU say your Anchor point is a little shorted then Full draw... You can get it to 50% in a Hurry :D :D

Anyways.. I was Never one for the Books So I won't weigh My .02 in here.....

I was lucky to see the mount at NWTF convention. AWESOME :cool: Mr.Beatty was there signing pics. Pretty nice family man .
From a couple of sources I learned he did the show at no cost for the NWTF. I also have from another source that all he sent to Pope & Young was for them to consider honoring his deer IF they ever change the rules on let-off. I think his was checked in at around 79%.
As for gaining entry into P&Y my .02 is that rules are rules and that the deer should not gain entry with the present rules.
However I believe that in a few years nobody will care much if it is P & Y. It still is the largest scoring whitetail taken by a hunter by any legal means.

By the way my 10yr old said that he didn't think that the deer was all that big :rolleyes:

Back