Caribou Gear

Out of the Game for a Decade but Bought a new ML Today

Shangobango

Well I went a did a thing. I hauled off and bought a CVA Acura LX-R. I will now have 4 muzzleloaders.

I already have two Hawken style and an old Black Knight inline. I currently have all 3 out on the work bench tinkering. Looks like I will be rekindling the old smokepole obsession this season somewhere.

It looks like a good thing that I have an old stockpile of 209 primers and caps from browsing around on shooting supply sites.

Also ordered some Power Belts, a Thor sizing kit, and some BoreDrivers to play with.

Any other significant changes to the muzzleloading scene in my abcensce?

Bite the bullet and go buy BH209. It is amazing, clean burning, fast, and the end of season clean up is so easy.
I love BH209 but I'm not paying that much for it. I'll go back to 777 if I have to. I'm interested in trying Shooter's World BP substitute.

I love BH209 but I'm not paying that much for it. I'll go back to 777 if I have to. I'm interested in trying Shooter's World BP substitute.
Yes it got expensive but after using everything else it’s worth it. I don’t shoot muzzles enough to worry about saving 20-30 bucks over two years. I waste way more than that on raffle transaction fees.

Bite the bullet and go buy BH209. It is amazing, clean burning, fast, and the end of season clean up is so easy.
Definitely on the list. I think they make a bore plug specifically for BH209 for the Acura. May as well buy that too I guess.

I already have a couple of boxes plus a few tubes of IMR White Hots to play with as well.

Boy oh boy, I am as excited as a kid at Christmas.

Any other significant changes to the muzzleloading scene in my abcensce?

Goex powder is non existent and seems to be staying that way, regardless of promises of by their new owners to start production again.

Swiss powder is still the best powder available by a long shot (yes, that pun is intended), though not as good as it used to be.

Goex powder is non existent and seems to be staying that way, regardless of promises of by their new owners to start production again.

Swiss powder is still the best powder available by a long shot (yes, that pun is intended), though not as good as it used to be.

Swiss is real black powder, right? I don’t think I have ever used it. How is it compared to black powder substitutes as far as performance?

I am seeing Ceddite Clerinox 209 primers available. Those are new to me.

Swiss is real black powder, right? I don’t think I have ever used it. How is it compared to black powder substitutes as far as performance?

I am seeing Ceddite Clerinox 209 primers available. Those are new to me.

Yes, it is real.

I have no idea how it compares to fake (sorry, but they are) black powders, other than Pyrodex. Pyrodex is terrible stuff in comparison.

I only use 209 primers with black powder in shotshells. All brands work about the same in that regard.

Yes, it is real.

I have no idea how it compares to fake (sorry, but they are) black powders, other than Pyrodex. Pyrodex is terrible stuff in comparison.

I only use 209 primers with black powder in shotshells. All brands work about the same in that regard.

My gramps used to call Pyrodex “Pyrocanker” lol.

I used White Hots for the last several years that I was muzzleloader hunting. Very clean compared to Pyrodex.

Gramps got that right!
Not sure what white hots are.

White Hots are pelletizes powder. Use them in the inlines.

The Hawkens I have, both from my Grandpa, appear to be in good condition. I am going to pick up some of the real stuff to use in them.

I have a jug of Pyrodex that is no telling how old. I am just going to dispose of it.

I think they make a bore plug specifically for BH209 for the Acura. May as well buy that too I guess.

Yes for sure.

I’m interested in those Bore Drivers too- I have a stock of the Federal Bore-Locks which I really like, but I don’t know if they stopped making them or what, can’t find them anywhere. The Bore Drivers look very similar, that design is really easy to use.

I found the Powerbelts very easy to use also as well as very accurate, but I read a ton of bad reviews in hunting situations that spooked me away from them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back