Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

OTC Cow Elk in south east Idaho?

Flintlock

Hello,
My wife and I are looking to put some elk meat in the freezer this year. Does anyone have any experience with the December muzzleloader Cow hunt in S.E. Idaho? I think it runs from Dec1st - 31st.

Thanks,
Flintlock

I sure don't. If I were you, I'd call the wildlife biologist for the unit in which you'd like to hunt (or any state wildlife biologist, if you're not sure which unit you'd like to hunt). You can typically find their information by calling the state's department of wildlife and asking for it. A willing biologist can be an information gold mine.

Good luck.

For the most part, the elk will hang on high ridges where a determined glasser can see them from the valley below, but where 90+% of hunters wouldn't want to climb. If there's snow on the ground, you should be able to find some elk. When you do find them you will have to decide whether you want one bad enough to climb to where they are. If you do make the climb, you should be able to get into rifle range. It will take extra patience, luck, and favorable wind to get the job done with a muzzleloader.
There are spots where they come down to root in fields, but the first hunter that finds them will push them back up high.

Thanks,
I am looking at the December hunt in the Bear River Zone, 75,77,78.

Flintlock

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back