Yeti GOBOX Collection

Oryx virus may threaten N.M. wildlife

Elkhunter

Oryx virus may threaten N.M. wildlife

Associated Press — March 31, 2004

WHITE SANDS MISSILE RANGE, N.M. — They're big and strong and fast and mean, bred as they are to survive on the grasslands of Africa. Now oryxes, which assert supremacy at the waterholes of southern New Mexico and multiply like rabbits, show signs of viruses that may threaten other wildlife.

"I always liken them to the creature in the 'Alien' flicks — so adapted at being a survivor," said Lou Bender, lead researcher on two recent New Mexico oryx studies that have appeared in the Journal of Wildlife Diseases.

The interloping antelope, introduced here from Africa decades ago, have been known to bully other wildlife, such as deer and desert bighorn sheep, away from native watering places.

Hunters love their long, straight, saber-like trophy horns, and state Game and Fish Department Director Bruce Thompson says it's too soon to sound the alarm on the oryx.

More studies are needed to know how serious a threat their viruses may be.

The Game and Fish Department introduced 93 captive-bred oryx, also called gemsbok, onto the White Sands Missile Range in the 1960s and 1970s as a hunting option.

Now there are an estimated 3,000 to 4,000, and they have long since spilled across the missile range boundaries onto neighboring ranch lands and beyond.

"We've had oryx as far north as Belen [south of Albuquerque]. They're in Texas now," said Pat Mathis, southwest area game manager for Game and Fish. "They're able to forage more efficiently than deer or antelope. They get by with a poorer-quality diet. They do very well in a drought situation."

Bender, assistant leader with the U.S. Geological Survey's wildlife research unit at New Mexico State University in Las Cruces, said most of the plant families oryxes encounter in New Mexico also exist in Africa.

The oryx, which weighs 475 to 500 pounds when mature, is very aggressive and combative, he said.

"I guess that's what happens when you grow up being hunted by lions — the real lions, not our mountain lions," Bender said.

For their oryx study published late last year, researchers captured dozens of the animals using a helicopter and tranquilizer darts.

They took blood and other samples and found several specimens that had a never-before-seen virus, from the same family as a disease known as malignant catarrhal fever.

Classic malignant catarrhal fever is "almost 100 percent fatal" in deer and elk but is very difficult to transmit to those animals, Bender said. Researchers don't yet know if the White Sands oryx version can be transmitted to other animals or is harmful to other species, he said.

Researchers also discovered antibodies to three other potentially serious viruses in oryx tests, showing exposure to the diseases. Those three viruses also occur in native deer and bighorn sheep, and researchers are concerned that oryx could be "amplifying hosts," boosting the prevalence of disease there.

Researchers must now determine if oryx are carriers. Pat Mathis, southwest area game manager for Game and Fish. "They're able to forage more efficiently than deer or antelope.

http://espn.go.com/outdoors/conservation/news/2004/0331/1772796.html

Here's a summary of that virus I just found in a search.

http://wyovet.uwyo.edu/wsvl/updates/MCF.pdf

It says pathogenesis has not been observed at the end and mentions muskox, ibex, and oryx.

Talking about those viruses they say "most have not been known to cause disease." Bender said something different, according to the above article, than this research summary link does. It does mention that virus has only been observed to cause disease in deer.

It sounds like it comes from sheep and goats a lot. Its not due to oryx only for sure and its not clear what, if any, that this MCF problem would ever amount to anything, is it?

Is there any good reason why we need free-ranging oryx? I don't think so, especially when we already have muleys, whitetails, elk, desert and rocky mountain bighorn, moose, etc, etc, etc....

Oh yeah, I guess non-res. licenses bring in about $1500 each. :rolleyes: There's very few good reasons to introduce exotics...

Oak

Oak- How long ago were these introduced?? I'm thinking it was a mistake from some time ago, but not certain. Though I'm not an advocate of introducing exotics, I also don't think we should get rid of pheasants, chukars, huns, etc.

1-P, How do you draw the line for introducing one species, but not allowing others? Oh yah,
The Game and Fish Department introduced 93 captive-bred oryx, also called gemsbok, onto the White Sands Missile Range in the 1960s and 1970s as a hunting option.
Is there any good reason why we need free-ranging oryx?
The oryx, which weighs 475 to 500 pounds when mature,......

My understanding is based upon this same topic on other forums and the debates there. "Supposedly," the oryx does not compete with native species, eating completely different kinds of browse. They also tend to populate areas not conducive to mule deer, Coues deer or antelope, and that is the reason the introduction was allowed.

Any zoologists around who can give us the straight story after researching it?

Cali,

I have been on two oryx hunts and multiple quail hunts on White Sands and the deer, orxy and antelope seem to coexist quite well together. There are plenty of antelope and a healthy population of deer. There are some absolutely HUGE muledeer bucks running around down there.

A few months ago on a NM board there were rumors of Oryx dieing from a disease which was causing blisters to occur on the orxy. No one knew for sure if it was true but this sounds like it might be it.

bear in mind that while white sands has a once in a lifetime hunt they also have a depradation hunt that you can apply and get drawn for every year. this is due to overcrowding and that can lead to fast spreading disease

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back