Oregon Roosevelt

idelkhntr

I'm contemplating trying to do an Oregon Roosevel Elk hunt. I have done a little research and am looking at three units; Stott Mt, Saddle Mt and Sixes. My first choice would be to do an archery hunt. I'm NOT looking for anyone's honey hole or secret spot. I am curious though if anyone has any experience with any of this units. I'm curious about terrain, hunting pressure and public land access. If I were to decide to do this, I wouldn't mind finding someone that was interested in partnering up on the hunt. Anyway, thoughts?

Terrain is dense, and steep. Its a hell of a hard hunt in any of those units, but they all hold decent bulls. Sixes and Saddle Mountain especially. (You may want to look at the Wilson Unit too)Get your legs in shape. The roads are closed to almost all the good timber land. The farther you get from the highway the better. Bummer part is you cannot camp on most of the privately held timber land. Walk in access only And if they are harvesting trees, some areas have restrictions on what time of day you can be in there. One of our spots is closed during the week, and open for walk in on the weekends only.

I have had the best success not doing much calling. The bulls over this way seem to have a 6th sense about Bugles. Cow calls to help locate herds and Satellites, then I don't bugle until I am within 100-150 yards. It makes them go NUTS

I am not archery hunting next year, will be taking my Daughter on a mentored youth rifle hunt. If I am still around these parts then, I would be more than happy to show you some good areas!

Good Luck!

rosy country is pretty steep and densly brushed,,,holigan is spot on,,,not an easy hunt with a bow.I know alot of areas and cascades or stottmtn, or chetco,powers or sixes would be good choices.the burn areas of chetco have some view areas.

I have hunted the Saddle Mt and Stott Mt units.

Saddle Mt is mostly corporate timber land and is heavily logged and mostly walk in in the areas we hunted. Two of my boys had cow rifle tags there for their first hunt at age 12 and they both tagged out on day 1. Lots of elk.

Stott Mt is more of a mix of National Forest and corporate timber. The NF is pretty thick and overgrown everywhere on the coast as they haven't done a clearcut since 1993. Lot's of hiding places to get the bulls big but tough hunting to say the least.

I wouldn't really say any unit in the coast range stands out as better than the rest. They all have good numbers of elk.

Thanks for the info all. I didn't expect an easy go of it. It's the challenge of the hunt that gets me. I've just thought about doing a Roosevelt Elk hunt a lot and my first thought was with my bow. However a rifle hunt would work better on my schedule as I am focused on filling my Idaho Elk tag in September. Anyway, thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back