MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

New to this forum, A Colorado Hunter

ramlinwillie

Hi,
New to this forum, so I thought I would introduce myself. I’ve been hunting Pheasants for about 40 years. The last six years I’ve been retired and started hunting with my first dog, a Brittany that I trained and last year I rescued a GSP, she’s still acts like a pup and I’m not pushing her in her training, letting her tag along.
Until this year when I hunted Nebraska for Sharp-tail, I’ve only hunted Colorado and have always had birds in the freezer. This year I started hunting September 1st, going after Dusky Grouse, and then hunted Mountain Sharp-tail, then onto Sage Grouse killing all three in September and a few Dusky’s in October, between my stepson and I we’ve taken 20 grouse, I also tried to find some Prairie Chickens, but they were not where I located them off season last year. I’ve only went after pheasants once this year and Kramer locked into several hens and then I was able to knock down a rooster for him that hunt. I’ve been out after Bob White Quail the rest of the season and we have killed 27, the number is low only because they are hard to hit and will hunt them one more time this season. The month of January will be all pheasant, there is a lot in Eastern Colorado, but hard to corner, hopefully we’ll have some success.
My goal is to mount all Colorado upland birds; I still have to get a Prairie Chicken, Scale Quail, Ptarmigan and Chukar, the first three I will get one year, but Chukar I’ll probably never get to hunt, not sure of anywhere on public land you can hunt them.
I like seeing pictures on theses forum, so I’ll add a few.
Thanks
Kramer flushed one over a small hill, (here’s a picture of him in the grass, hard to see, lots of cover again this year.
IMG]http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/qq204/ramlinwillie/081109006.jpg[/IMG]
Opening day on Dusky’s:
081109002.jpg

081109001.jpg

081109008.jpg

Then onto Mountain Sharp-tail:
RandyandSharpiesResized.jpg

BillandSharpiesresize.jpg

Next up was Sage Grouse:
Afternoon Limit:
091609012.jpg

Bill’s:
091609016.jpg

Opening weekend”
Quail Total
111409052.jpg

Very nice! Some day...I'll have a dog and spend more time chasing birds. It's hard for me to imagine that some public land (probably BLM) doesn't hold some chukar somewhere in CO. I'm pretty sure there are some chukar in UT up around Flaming Gorge and CO isn't too far away.

Though I haven't hunted birds alot, I've been fortunate to kill a quite few different species. I'm guessing the prairie chicken's you have in CO are Lessers. Here's my first Lesser Prairie Chicken from Kansas:
MyfirstLesserPrairieChicken.jpg

Nice photos. There are a couple of us pointing dog guy on here, but mostly it is big game hunters. Good to see someone posting some bird photos.

Welcome to HT and cool photos. I've hunted mtn sharptails, ptarmigan, and sage grouse in CO. A good friend of mine has killed chukar in CO. If you can't get any info on where to start looking, shoot me a PM and I'll see if I can help.

Thanks all for the welcome.
1_pointer,
I think there may be Lessers in Southeastern area of the state, but no season, I’m talking the Greater Prairie Chicken, which there are a good number, but getting on private land is hard to do for hunting chickens.

BillyGoat,
Appreciate it, I’ll send a PM

Here's a picture of my newest mount, a Mountain Sharp-tail, I was lucky, this year was the first time I hunted them and I got this one:

Attachments

• The Mount.jpg
    The Mount.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 808
Here's a picture of my newest mount, a Mountain Sharp-tail, I was lucky, this year was the first time I hunted them and I got this one
That's a cool mount. I was never able to put one in the bag in CO but I did finally get my first one in ID this season.

I cut my teeth in a duck blind on the Chesapeake but slowly switched to whitetail hunting as the bird hunting worsened. The deer hunting keeps getting better but now the ducks and geese are making a comeback. My plan is to get the kids out there in the next few weeks and hopefully have a few bird pictures to add. Welcome to the forum as its nice to see some feathers.

Welcome!

Glad to see another upland hunter.

I really like the looks of the gsp's. That solid liver gsp, is she the rescue dog?

Welcome!

Glad to see another upland hunter.

I really like the looks of the gsp's. That solid liver gsp, is she the rescue dog?

Yes she is, I got her from a military guy who lived in an apartment, wife was pregnant and he was leaving for Iraq, too much for her, so I took Chloe out to a preserve and worked her on some birds and shot around her, she did pretty good, so I took her.
Last year first trip out just her and me she pointed a rooster which I killed and she found it in the heavy cover, had some points on Quail also, but this year she’s been a disappointment, but I’ll keep working with her, she seems to take a long time to get comfortable in new situations, hopefully she’ll grow out of this puppy stage she seems to be stuck in?

Attachments

• Chloe 040.jpg
    Chloe 040.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 808
Thanks for the info.....I'm sure there are a lot of solid GSP's out there, but it's possible your dog came from my two GSPs. Do you by chance have registration papers?

I sold a pup to a military family with young kids here in South Dakota who soon after moved from this area....do you know if by chance they had named her Kimber?

Thanks for the info.....I'm sure there are a lot of solid GSP's out there, but it's possible your dog came from my two GSPs. Do you by chance have registration papers?

I sold a pup to a military family with young kids here in South Dakota who soon after moved from this area....do you know if by chance they had named her Kimber?

She has papers from the American Canine Association, which doesn't mean much. She's just a puppy mill dog I'm sure.

Back