New to forum and elk hunting

SFC B

Hey everybody, I a new to this site (watch the show and jut found this) and really like wht I have seen s far. This was my frstelk season here in CO and it went great. I have been stationed here 4years and this was my first shot. I am on a couple of other forums and those guys were a great help, can't wait to contribute here. Here is a re-post of the story of my first elk hunt.

"As you may have read in my previous posts(elkcamp.com), I was looking for a camp to join for this elk season (my first). I found a place with another vet and headed out to a wilderness area in the Routt for second rifle season with resonable expectations. We got to our camp site (the very end of the Jeep road) on Wed before opener and set up camp, cut fire wood and set up the outhouse prior to opening. The area is beautiful. Well, the first day of the season my host and I went out about 1.5 miles from camp over a ridge to a meadow to set up stand positions about 600 meters apart. As the morning started, there were 5 yotes running the meadow :( two of them settled on a gut pile directly across from me. I was gonna let them walk but after an hour I took the male. Twenty minutes later I saw my first bull in the wild. As I swung around to fire my buddy pulled the trigger first. His dropped the bull with a 230m shot. His picture is the one without glasses. Sunday all we saw was a Muley doe and fawns in another meadow. On monday we chanced it to go back to the first spot. The first hour and a half of light were uneventful. About 0900 or so things got interesting real quick. First my buddy started shooting at a cow at about 150m. She was moving through some trees and it took him 4 shots to connect. She fell in 20 yards. about 10 seconds later I see a group of three bulls a ways out there and laser them. the closet was a 5x5 at 363 yards. I went over my ballistics in my head and waited for him to clear the others. My only shot was a neck/spine shot. I held the crosshairs just over its head, fired and hit him at the junction of the neck and spine. He dropped instantly. So, all and all we were 3 elks for 3 days hunting and then 2 days worth of meat cutting...a little more ont he trip later, but I am bushed now SFC B

In the pics, where I am wearing the black shirt that is my buddy's bull, orange shirt i mine, also pics of the camp, ivories and mount. Glad to be here and look forward to hearng frm you guys.

Attachments

• GEDC0501.jpg
    GEDC0501.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 470
  • GEDC0509.jpg
    GEDC0509.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 472
  • GEDC0510 2.jpg
    GEDC0510 2.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 485
  • GEDC0515.jpg
    GEDC0515.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 480
  • meat pole.jpg
    meat pole.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 484
  • Our camp.jpg
    Our camp.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 472
  • Ivory 2.jpg
    Ivory 2.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 474
  • Antler mount 2.jpg
    Antler mount 2.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 471
welcome!

If you can get 3 elk killed (two bulls) that fast in the same spot that had a gut pile in the middle before you started hunting, you obviously have knack for it.;)

Welcome as well.

I love how you military guys talk... meters, ballistics, junction, closet. It makes for a good story.
Thanks for posting

Khunter, you should see that meadow. In the wilderness at about 9200' and it looks like an elk super-highway. In the pic where I am wth my bull (orange), you can see an opening in the aspens behind me and then the meadow. I shot from the far side in the tree line. the meadow is covered with tracks, bones from previous years and streches for about a mile. My bull was shot less than 100m from the first day's gutpile.
I am getting ready to fill out my apps for this year and can't stop smiling. I am hoping to also get cow and deer tags for that spot and a RFW tag for prongy doe!!

Cheers SFC. A bit late for my welcome... regardless, welcome to HT. Look forward to your future hunt pics and stories. Lot of great people here.

Last edited:
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alaska2Montana
Back