Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

New pack ordered

ID_deerslayer

Finally pulled the trigger on ordering a new pack from Mystery Ranch and am looking forward to putting it to the test this fall for a 7-10 day elk/ deer hunt. I had been checking their website every few days since May to see when their new guide light frame packs would be available to purchase and had my sights set on the Metcalf. Finally I checked for availability and sure enough the pack was listed as available, only not in my size in any of the three color ways they offer. Found out that the size I needed would be available for purchase again until September. I ended up going with the Marshall pack and am hoping it does everything I have heard it can do. September can't come soon enough!

Twsnow, I remember that. I went to Mystery Ranch HQ back in April and got sized for their packs and could have bought one of the old models, however their new pack design is 30% lighter than the previous model! Since I mostly solo hunt I was counting the ounces and empty pack weight from the start. It will be worth the money I'm sure!

Twsnow, I remember that. I went to Mystery Ranch HQ back in April and got sized for their packs and could have bought one of the old models, however their new pack design is 30% lighter than the previous model! Since I mostly solo hunt I was counting the ounces and empty pack weight from the start. It will be worth the money I'm sure!

I'm not sure who told you 30% lighter... that's wrong... :) I'm sure there are reasons to buy the new one versus the old, but weight is not one of them IMO. The Nice frame pack was 7lbs 15oz and the new Guide light is 7.1lbs. I paid $350 bucks for my Nice frame brand new and the Guide light one is $600, hence I bought the old model :) Enjoy the new pack...

Like we need excuses to buy the newer cooler model... Put it to use this fall!

I'm not sure who told you 30% lighter... that's wrong... :) I'm sure there are reasons to buy the new one versus the old, but weight is not one of them IMO. The Nice frame pack was 7lbs 15oz and the new Guide light is 7.1lbs. I paid $350 bucks for my Nice frame brand new and the Guide light one is $600, hence I bought the old model :) Enjoy the new pack...

Hmmm. Not sure where that info is coming from. When I put my old and new on the scale, the difference was 2# 4oz. We are working on a video of both.

Hmmm. Not sure where that info is coming from. When I put my old and new on the scale, the difference was 2# 4oz. We are working on a video of both.

I found 7lbs 15 oz all over the internet for the weight of the Nice frame pack and 7.1 for the Guide light on the mystery ranch website.

Thats good to hear they are lightening up. I've always been kind of curious what you get with a MR that you don't with a Kifaru or Stone Glacier, other than 3.5 extra pounds.

OK, so I had contact Mystery Ranch to validate the info....per MR....

Update for Case #26644 - "Marshall Nice pack specs"

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in Mystery Ranch Backpacks. The old version of the Marshall weighs 7lbs 14oz.

I hope that helps, please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Regards,
Jordan""

And if the new one is 7.1, per the website....well...lets just say someone is not correct. :) I will say if you weighed them on an accurate scale I trust you, but then MR has a little explaining to do... LOL

Are you sure you weighed the Marshalls?

It may be that I had that percentage on the metcalf pack. Either way my old pack empty weighed in at around 8.5 lbs so I'm happier already :)

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back