Caribou Gear Tarp

New Mexico Whitetails (not Coues)

WFGinNM

I've been hearing more talk about the Whitetail herd in eastern NM. G&F lists them as Texas Whitetails (Odocoileus virginianus texana). I'm planning on spending a few weekends in the next couple months making trips east to see if I can glass some. Has anybody stumbled into some while out hunting the eastern or northeastern part of the state?

Thanks,
--Bill

I thought you were refering to the ones in the south west portion of the state. Let us know what you find.

There are quite a few down near Ruidoso. Also have seen some really big bucks around Springer.

Well, I drew the December Whitetail hunt in Unit 59. I didn't put in for the November hunts around Springer, still hoping to be able to hunt in PA at that time if work will cooperate. I'll try to keep the scouting trips up to date.

--Bill

This hunting Texas Whitetail in NM may be harder than I first thought. After 3 long drives (4 1/2 hours oneway) to scout. I have yet to see a Whitetail south of Clayton, or gained permission to hunt private land. I won't give up though, the hunt is still 2 months away.

--Bill

I saw a small whitetail buck in Unit 31 sandhill country 2 years ago. Was pretty suprised to see him out there all by himself. Looked like a yearling.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back