Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Nevada Proposed Land Swap

fmnjr

I'll admit to not being that well informed on issues facing the status of public land, but what's discussed in this article worries me. In no particular order, my worries are: 1) unintended consequences always come out of something like this, 2) no savy businessman I've ever known of does anything without reaping benefits others are incapable of seeing, and, 3) even though our current public land policies are less than perfect, they've worked so far.

It's a joke. I sat in on the first video session where the Winecup-Gamble delivered their draft proposal. To say the public would get screwed is an understatement.

It has a long ways to go. The real effort needs to be with the Nevada delegation, the Elko County Commissioners, and the NDOW Commission. Unfortunately, the Congressional Rep for that area is a stated anti-public lander who has recently laid off his efforts due to a lot of heat, though he continually criticizes public land ownership. He is one I would keep an eye on.

Interesting part is the owner of the Winecup-Gamble ranch, who is proposing this exchange, also owns the Outdoor Channel, Sportsmans Channel, and 35 hunting/fishing publications you might be familiar with - https://www.outdoorsg.com/brands/

The sooner Nevadans start bringing heat, the better. Show up to win. The outcome will be determined by your delegation and your local elected officials. Make them feel the heat.

It's a joke. I sat in on the first video session where the Winecup-Gamble delivered their draft proposal. To say the public would get screwed is an understatement.

It has a long ways to go. The real effort needs to be with the Nevada delegation, the Elko County Commissioners, and the NDOW Commission. Unfortunately, the Congressional Rep for that area is a stated anti-public lander who has recently laid off his efforts due to a lot of heat, though he continually criticizes public land ownership. He is one I would keep an eye on.

Interesting part is the owner of the Winecup-Gamble ranch, who is proposing this exchange, also owns the Outdoor Channel, Sportsmans Channel, and 35 hunting/fishing publications you might be familiar with - https://www.outdoorsg.com/brands/

The sooner Nevadans start bringing heat, the better. Show up to win. The outcome will be determined by your delegation and your local elected officials. Make them feel the heat.
Completely understand the importance of Nevadans being involved. Wouldn't you think this deserves major national attention though? If this effort were to be successful, it would be the first state domino to fall with many more to follow. I don't really know what I'm talking about here, just using what common sense my noggin comes up with. What do you think about the national scope issue? Also, the only way it makes sense for a congressional rep with that attitude to get elected in that area is that he is beholden to those behind this effort.

Completely understand the importance of Nevadans being involved. Wouldn't you think this deserves major national attention though? If this effort were to be successful, it would be the first state domino to fall with many more to follow. I don't really know what I'm talking about here, just using what common sense my noggin comes up with. What do you think about the national scope issue? Also, the only way it makes sense for a congressional rep with that attitude to get elected in that area is that he is beholden to those behind this effort.
It deserves national attention and it is getting some of that. We've discussed it on our weekly podcast, Fresh Tracks Weekly.

But, no matter what we think in other states, history has shown that if your delegation is for it, due to lack of opposition, it has a great possibility of passing. And history has shown that if your delegation opposes it, it has very low odds of passing.

The best path to your delegation is your own local media, local groups, and elected local officials such as County Commissioners, City Governments, even some trade industry groups. I know there are folks in Elko already working those channels.

Having been involved in plenty of these, both supporting some and opposing some, watch out for the sales pitches and the manner in which the professionals with Western Land Group try to make it seem that this is a Nevada-born idea. Do not accept anything in their presentation and propaganda as fact.

If you look at the current proposal, the acreage is very askew. The values will be even further askew when the wildlife is considered, but know that appraisers seldom count wildlife values. In Nevada, no water, no wildlife. Look at the maps of where most of the watered lands end up.

Glad Nevadans are showing resistance already. I wouldn't wait. I'd make it an election issue in 2024, even if the proposal has a ways to go.

It deserves national attention and it is getting some of that. We've discussed it on our weekly podcast, Fresh Tracks Weekly.

But, no matter what we think in other states, history has shown that if your delegation is for it, due to lack of opposition, it has a great possibility of passing. And history has shown that if your delegation opposes it, it has very low odds of passing.

The best path to your delegation is your own local media, local groups, and elected local officials such as County Commissioners, City Governments, even some trade industry groups. I know there are folks in Elko already working those channels.

Having been involved in plenty of these, both supporting some and opposing some, watch out for the sales pitches and the manner in which the professionals with Western Land Group try to make it seem that this is a Nevada-born idea. Do not accept anything in their presentation and propaganda as fact.

If you look at the current proposal, the acreage is very askew. The values will be even further askew when the wildlife is considered, but know that appraisers seldom count wildlife values. In Nevada, no water, no wildlife. Look at the maps of where most of the watered lands end up.

Glad Nevadans are showing resistance already. I wouldn't wait. I'd make it an election issue in 2024, even if the proposal has a ways to go.
Been digging around a bit and this effort does not pass the sniff test. The proposed swap ratios along with several other aspects outright stink. I'll be contacting my reps and tracking this.....thank you.

Back