MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

need some help!

IDduckhntr

So we are leaving for South Dakota on Friday, have 2 antlerless archery tags in our pockets, just figured out we will be shooting from tree stands-that's where I need the help. I'VE NEVER SHOT FROM A TREE STAND!! I have heard that we will need to shoot low, but also been told it actually makes the shot farther (a 20 yd shot from 20 feet up is more like 24 yds). I don't really have time to find a place to shoot from up high til I get there....any suggestions/help from someone who shoots from tree stands????????? I know, should've figured this out a long time ago, but didn't know I was deer hunting til last week or so.........thought I was just gonna kill some pheasants!

Without getting into all the math equations to illustrate........you shoot just a tad lower depending on the distance. If you're 20 feet up and your rangefinder says 24 yards.....that angle would tell me to shoot about 21 yards.

IDduckhunter, if you walk off any distances from the base of the tree, make sure you add a couple yards to that distance. also makes a difference how high you'll be. also, make sure you aim a little low for the deer dropping on the further shots. few inches should be plenty.

IF you have the time, get yourself a 30 yard string and stretch it out from the treestand. tie it to the platfom, drop it down, and see where it ends up. that should give you a quick reference for all shots inside 30. the string can also be used to raise and lower your bow and equipment.:D

IDduckhunter, if you walk off any distances from the base of the tree, make sure you add a couple yards to that distance.

That's not exactly correct......the distance from the base of your tree to the target is exactly the distance you will shoot for. (actual versus inclination)

Here's a link to better help you understand......note the illustrations (a & b):

www.kingsmountainarchers.org/tips/angle-shots.html

thanks for the help! I will just make some time to shoot a couple from the stand before a deer shows up! There are definately lots of opinions (been surfing the web) out there on this subject. I like the "stay inside 30 yards and bend at the waist" theory-sounds like it will put the backstraps on the ground!

ID, bohunter is right. got that backwards. need to subtract a couple yards. example. if you measure out 20 yards from the base of the tree, then go up in the treestand to "X" height, the actual shooting yardage increases because of the height of the stand. to keep the actual 20 yard distance the same, the object has to move closer to the base of the tree. good luck on your hunt.

ID, bohunter is right. got that backwards. need to subtract a couple yards. example. .

TLC, still...not quite :D

The distance you aim for is the exact horizontal distance. Imagine that when the deer walks towards your stand that it is on the same plane as you, like just before you took the shot the deer levitated up and off the ground to the exact same vertical height as you are in your stand. The fact that you are higher or lower makes no difference. This goes for uphill or downhill shots. If a deer is on a cliff whose base is 20 yards away, but the deer's elevation is 40 yards higher than your elevation, you'd still shoot for 20 yards.

Good luck IDducker...may the force (of gravity) be with you.

smalls, don't think you western guys understand my point here. easiest way for me to say it is to get a string measured to whatever yardage. tie it to the base of the tree and walk away. put a pin/stake, whatever at the end of the string. now, take that same string and tie it to the platform of your treestand. the pin from the treestand is going to be closer to the base of the tree.

now around here where I am, we don't have a lot of uphill shots. unless you're laying on your back. I understand the gravity part and all that, but hunting from that elevated position in a treestand makes the distance different than on the ground.

anyways, the bucks are starting to move here, so have to go hunt in a bit. love this time of year. few more days with the bow, then shotgun season.

smalls, don't think you western guys understand my point here. easiest way for me to say it is to get a string measured to whatever yardage. tie it to the base of the tree and walk away. put a pin/stake, whatever at the end of the string. now, take that same string and tie it to the platform of your treestand. the pin from the treestand is going to be closer to the base of the tree.
That is true in a tree stand or on a hill. However, you still aim for the distance that the deer is from the base of the tree not the distance it is from the treestand. Using this picture as an example, you aim as if the deer is 7 feet away.
downshot.gif

Maybe the link below explains it better for you.
http://www.kingsmountainarchers.org/tips/angle-shots.html

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back