Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Need a new bag

BuddyBoombox

I've been backpacking for a while but the pack I use is an ultralight from osprey and the frame creaks if I get it up over 30 lbs. I'm a big dude made worse by short legs, I'm 6' but my bags and tops always fit like I'm 6' 4'. I'm looking at the Kuiu system since it looks like it's nice and modular and their frames come in very large sizes. Anyone have any other suggestions or the hot tip on getting a deal on these bags? They aren't cheap!

I was going to write a lengthy post, but why bother. @wllm1313 shared pretty much where to start and how to make an educated decision.

This thread can pretty much end now.

I will start this by saying I will never support or purchase Kuiu. My many personal reasons should be left for a different thread. I don't want to sidetrack your thread. The only thing I will mention is that the now deceased founder/owner of Kuiu specifically said he doesn't want people of your, and my, shape in his gear. He said people of our shapes are a bad image for his business. But enough about that. If modular is what you want check Kifaru.

I'm 6'4" with a long torso. I also have a belly on me so that makes things even harder to fit. Not the same as your size but similar that I have never been a OSFA. I've learned through trial and returns and wasted money that I can not where any back pack that doesn't have adjustable torso length. Even bags that come in a couple different sizes usually don't fit if they aren't adjustable. I'm currently running Mystery Ranch and love them. I have a Metcalf and Scapegoat 35. They have multiple sizing options and then every size is adjustable for the perfect fit. Also if they don't have a belt/torso combo that works for you can call and get a custom set up. (ex. large waste belt but shorter torso) If you don't need it this season Gohunt and Black Ovis usually have them on sale for black Friday. I also have an Osprey pack for summer backpacking, but same thing, it's an XL then has an adjustable torso.

That being said as the article posted above mentions I think there are tons of other great brands to go with. I went MR because I couldn't justify the money for Kifaru and Exo with my hunting style and needs, but they seem amazing and ever body loves them, but since I got my MR bags 30% of they were much cheaper. If you want modular Kifaru seems the way to go though. That is just based on research not experience though. I also have an MR dealer nearby so I could try them on. I would just say with your unique shape try on if you can and be sure to get something adjustable to really fine tune the fit.

I will start this by saying I will never support or purchase Kuiu. My many personal reasons should be left for a different thread. I don't want to sidetrack your thread. The only thing I will mention is that the now deceased founder/owner of Kuiu specifically said he doesn't want people of your, and my, shape in his gear. He said people of our shapes are a bad image for his business. But enough about that. If modular is what you want check Kifaru.

I'm 6'4" with a long torso. I also have a belly on me so that makes things even harder to fit. Not the same as your size but similar that I have never been a OSFA. I've learned through trial and returns and wasted money that I can not where any back pack that doesn't have adjustable torso length. Even bags that come in a couple different sizes usually don't fit if they aren't adjustable. I'm currently running Mystery Ranch and love them. I have a Metcalf and Scapegoat 35. They have multiple sizing options and then every size is adjustable for the perfect fit. Also if they don't have a belt/torso combo that works for you can call and get a custom set up. (ex. large waste belt but shorter torso) If you don't need it this season Gohunt and Black Ovis usually have them on sale for black Friday. I also have an Osprey pack for summer backpacking, but same thing, it's an XL then has an adjustable torso.

That being said as the article posted above mentions I think there are tons of other great brands to go with. I went MR because I couldn't justify the money for Kifaru and Exo with my hunting style and needs, but they seem amazing and ever body loves them, but since I got my MR bags 30% of they were much cheaper. If you want modular Kifaru seems the way to go though. That is just based on research not experience though. I also have an MR dealer nearby so I could try them on. I would just say with your unique shape try on if you can and be sure to get something adjustable to really fine tune the fit.
Good info for the larger than average!

For a modular build, I went with the Eberlestock F1 mainframe in tall. I’m 6’ flat.
So far I’ve been more than pleased with the system I’ve put together. That’s the key for me, I put it together. Hunted a EXO last year and sold it after elk season. Didn’t care for the layout and lack of a good way the carry a rifle.
With the F1, I can put together what I need for a hunt and even adjust it for the day after the hunt begins.
And a added plus, Eberlestock’s CS is outstanding.

Love my Exo pack and bags, 4800 and 6400. I've backpack hunted 30 - 70 pounds and it makes for a very comfortable carry. And made in USA by some hard hunting great people. Top tier customer service as well.
20191221_091631.jpg

Last edited:

Really wanna thank you for bringing that up, I did my own research on Kuiu and came to the same conclusion as you. Kifaru seems to check all my boxes, modular, can fit my long torso, all American! I'll see how I like it this fall once the temp's drop below 110 and I can venture outside again.

Back