National Forest Campground or Dispersed Camping

WBouldin

I am trying to determine different options to set-up camp next weekend for the archery opener in CA. I have found 3 campgrounds in my unit in the Sequoia and Inyo national forests but it appears they are heavily used by Off-road enthusiasts and not hunters. This got me thinking about the "dispersed" camping and the rules surrounding that. Can you pretty much pull up and camp wherever you want or do you have to stay in the established campgrounds? The plan is to drive out from camp each morning to various dead ends and hike from there but would i be able to instead just camp at said dead-end to eliminate the drive every morning?

What are your general set-ups when hunting national forests?

Need to check with applicable Ranger District on rules. Some don't allow camping except in designated areas. If it's allowed, I usually just camp somewhere close to where I'll be hunting where I can pull off the road and set up. Usually it's not too elaborate.

Most areas that allow dispersed camping allow you to go 300 feet from the established road (this may vary), but I've never needed to go more than about 30 feet.

Ditto.
I have had whole campgrounds to my self. But I am usually alone just off the road.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back