PEAX Equipment

Mystry ranch m4, m5-8 military surplus

SwampLander

Found the pack above on line. Great price but is this a crap pack. I know MR makes amazing stuff but is this a good pack for a Backcountry pack in hunt?

Looks like a decent pack. If I were you I'd definitely go and try it on somewhere before spending that much on it. Does it have an adjustable torso? You're going to want your pack to fit as perfectly as possible.

It is probably worth $200 to some, but maybe not you.

It is middle of the road option built specifically for some unit's military need. Take a look on the Mystery ranch websites military packs, it is a 5800ci hybrid of the SATL and the 6500. My biggest concern would be weight, as their military packs are built like tanks. Their website lists the 6500 at 10lbs.

I have an older SATL and really like it. If you are looking for a good quality pack in this size range I think $200 is a good price. It's a conventional design so the frame is not as heavy duty as the NICE frame based packs nor have the ability to switch bags. The yolk and belt are adjustable within the size specs (S,M,L) like the other MR packs.

It looks very close in design to the Glacier which the market as a backpacking pack http://www.mysteryranch.com/glacier-pack-ex

Now the hard question is do you pull the trigger on this or put that $200 towards a pack that is exactly what you want (says the guy with a bunch of second-hand packs that were priced too good to pass up hanging in the garage).

The downside of buying used military packs is washing the sweat smell out of them.

Last edited:
They are listed on eBay as new. 70L. Is that big enough for 5-7 day backpack hunt? It's a M. I'm 5'8" 165#. M usually fits me. Also dalbo are you interested in selling a pack?

No, the reason I said that is I'm a sucker for these kinds of deals on Ebay and If saved all the money I spent on them over the years I could have bought a nicer Kifaru, MR or Stone Glacier pack. If I didn't just order a new rifle I would be severely tempted to buy one of these packs.

70L could be ok for 5-7 days depending on how light/compact your other gear is. Strapping your sleeping bag and pad to the outside would free up some internal space if you needed it. We're close to the same size so the medium should work fine for you.

I have a USMC ILBE pack that's 75L, It can fit a boned out deer, 2 front elk shoulders or one rear elk quarter no problem. I don't want to carry more than that at a time if I can help it.

Both were on ebay what I could make out from bad internet connection and super slow research was exactly what you stated Minnesotahunter. I decided the M4 was to small and the M5.8 was sold. They both ended up going for over 300 I think. Still a good price I think but I just dont think I can drop 3 bills on something I cant hold or at least have 100% assurance of what I am getting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back