My son 11 gets his first Buck

MarkM

I was Lucky enough to take my son hunting again this weekend. We climbed into a box blind at about 5:30 am it was 22 degrees. About 20 minutes before the sun came up we started seeing shadows of deer moving around in the field in front of us. I know, I dont have to tell you how exciting it is when there are 4-5 does feeding in a field before it is even light enought to shoot.. My son and I sat "patiently" untill the sun came out. Just then a young 7-8 point white tail broke out of the tree line. We watched for a few minutes untill we noticed that the buck was acting nervous. That's when we noticed a monster 8 point moving up towards the does. He Huffed and grunted and pawed the ground. He rubbed and even broke off a few small trees on his way up. I told my son to take him whenever he had a good shot. He fired his 243 when the deer got to about 130-135 yards. It was clearly a hard hit. We celebrated with high fives and hugs untill we noticed one of the does had stayed behind, so of course I got to take her for meat. It was a Great day, a memorable Buck and a fantastic shot.

MarkM.. Congrats to your son on his first deer and congrats to you for taking the time with your son and passing on the tradition of hunting. Good job we need more kids afield.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jordanhronek
Back