MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

My little one's frst animal

SFC B

My family was lucky enough to be invited to hunt a ranch in TX this January. My son and I shot a couple of deer a piece but this was by far the biggest moment of the trip. My girl was 8 at the time (now 9) and has been shooting since NOV. She shot her brother's Rossi youth 22 a couple of times and then Santa brought her a pink Crickett. We went to the range a couple of more times before we left for TX and she was all over me about hunting. I told her we would have to see (I knew they had ranc rifles that might be an option) once we got there and shot again. Once we were there my son and I zero'd our weapons (the difference in Altitude was HUGE, my son's 44, while still dead center, was shootng 12" high) and the ranch hand/guide Brian offered to give my little one some trigger time on his sons AR. The first three shots were inside a 50cent piece at 25m so we went to 50m. Still within about 1.5 inches. We were all smiling and Brian said ok lets give 100m a shot. She shot abouta 2-2.5 group at 100. He told us that she was shootng better than a bunch of the grown men that hunted there and that he was good with her coming out for a shot at a pig.
So that evening we went out to one of the blinds and watched as a few nice but young bucks came through the Senderro. Then a pack of Javelina came throuh (they don't hunt them on the ranch as TX regs require you use the meat and nobobdy wants it). As light was starting to decrease another young buck came out. As we were watching him he started to get froggy and out came a boar, sow and 3 piglets. The boar and piglets drifted into the brush and the sow was playing hide and seek behind the buck.
My little one was sitting on my lap in order to get enough elevation in the blind. I ask her if she had a good sight picture in the scope and sh gave me a definite YES! With about 10minutes of shooting light left the sow finally uncovered. She gave a broadside shot at about 85 yds. I told the little one to shoot when she had a ....BOOOM!! I hadn't even finished my sentence!! The pig dropped, spun around on the ground and then limped off into the bush. After a wait, it took us abut 20 minutes to find her. She had looped around us and was about 50 yds out. Upon inspection we foun that the 77gr NP bullet haddoubl lunged her and blown out the off side shoulder. My girl is still over the moon and she grins ear to ear every time we eat some of "her pig" !! I was a great day:hump:

Attachments

• GEDC0579 2.jpg
    GEDC0579 2.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 452
I am definitely one lucky man. Two years ago I took my son out and shot his first WT buck on a farm in our hometown in IN and now this. Great part o being a dad. Here is a pic of h and I with his deer as well.

Attachments

• Cade's buck 1.jpg
    Cade's buck 1.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 431
Congrats! Didn't know you were from IN. From where do you hail? I grew up just north of Evansville and currently live just NE of Indy.

Congrats! Didn't know you were from IN. From where do you hail? I grew up just north of Evansville and currently live just NE of Indy.

I was born and grewup on th Eastside of Indy. My wife and all of her family are from the Warsaw area which is where we go back to. My sons buck was taken on a farm just outside of Warsaw off SR15. Sometimes I also get to hunt with one of my fraternity brothers in Steuben Co.

I love home and a Hoosier through and through but.....it isn't any more expensive out here and, well, there are the mountains, elk, mulies, sheep etc :) I will say that my favorite place in the world is sitting in a treestand among hard woods in IN gun season when it is nice and cold with snow on the ground.

Beauty and the beast! Congratulations to all of you. Those hogs are about the ugliest things around, but excellent eating.

Man, it really is good eating. We have had about 5 meals so far. She took to the AR right away. I always tell folks that it (our M4s) are the easiest weapons to shoot, period. Even with iron sights shooting out to 300m is pretty easy. Also, I can tell you that the 77gr NP bullets do some very nice damage to pig/small WT sized game. Both of the ranch hand's boys have taken nice TX bucks with that rifle and ammo combo.

I love home and a Hoosier through and through but.....it isn't any more expensive out here and, well, there are the mountains, elk, mulies, sheep etc :) I will say that my favorite place in the world is sitting in a treestand among hard woods in IN gun season when it is nice and cold with snow on the ground.
I can't disagree! My wife and I had a 9 year 'western experiment' and we would still be there if it were up to me. However, after I lost my dad in 2008 "we" decided to move back in an effort to be closer to our parents and for our kids to spend more time with them. That said, I try to make it out west as much as possible.

Great to see more kids afield! You 3 keep up the good work and enjoy those special times!! They'll be off on their own before you know it.

Great to see more kids afield! You 3 keep up the good work and enjoy those special times!! They'll be off on their own before you know it.

Certainly, the big one is finishing his sophomore year in HS and it is already weighing on me somewhat. He is a great young man and a good partner in crime. At least I still have another 9 years or so with the little one. By then maybe we will have some grand babies too!!

Back