My 2007 buck

BrianID

My deer season started off hard this year. The first day of archery season I put an arrow in a very large buck. I quite hunting for a few weeks and put in a lot of time trying to find him (about 40 hours myself + 20 hours of help from friends). Hopefully he survived but in reality he probably died in some thick brush where I would have a very difficult time trying to find him.

Once rifle season opened I decided to move on and find a buck to put my tag on. I'm not very good at passing on deer and finally couldn't keep my finger off the trigger.

I spotted him from about 3/4?? of a mile and put a stalk on him. He moved before I was able to get close enough for a shot but I was able to find him on the other side of the hill. Unfortunately he saw(smelled??) me the same time I saw him and he took off only giving me an questionable shot as he ran through the brush at about 250 yards. After running about 150 yards I was able to cut him off as he tried to circle back. My brother Brad ranged him standing broad side at 250 yards and I had a good rest across my pack. I hesitated for a minute because there were a few blades of grass a few yards in front of my rifle barrel. He also did not appear to be 24" wide I judged him to be when I was looking at him through the spotting scope earlier. After about a minute the buck and his two smaller buddies decided they didn't trust me and were going to leave. I was already worked up and had buck fever so I decided to take the shot when he was pushing 300 yards away on brisk walk. I couldn’t tell if I had hit him so I went over there to look for blood. After about 10 minutes I found some blood and started to follow the trail. About an hour and a 500 yard blood trail he jumped from a patch and I was able to put a tag on him.

The first shot turned out to only nick his leg. It didn't hit the bone and only scraped the outside of the muscle but took out a chunk of hide. Considering how superficial the wound was I'm surprised he left a 500 yard long blood trail.
6-4.jpg

This is also a buck I took pictures of on June 15th. He has a couple distinctive slits in his ears. The pictures below show him on June 15th.
1-13.jpg

2-11.jpg

3-8.jpg

Thanks to everyone who was there. Without their help I would have likely not been able to put a tag on him.

5-5.jpg

4-5.jpg

The last picture shows my brother Brad and I with the antlers from our bucks this year.
7-2.jpg

Very cool. That's great you got photos of both deer before you guys got em'. Congrats to both of you guys. Thanks for the pics.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back