MT waterfowl finale

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Got a flu shot on Tuesday and have been sick as a dog ever since. Finally able to function, and just in time, being invited to join a group of friends for the last two duck shoots of the season.

It has been plenty cold here the last few days. Add some wind and you are going to have ducks that want to land in the first place they can find. Some even land when the dog is out among the decoys

The first day there were six of us. Three guys to a blind. Twenty-one greenheads from our blind. Same result from the other blind. The rule is you have to fill your limit by shooting your last bird by shooting with your off hand. I am right handed and I am sure I did not come withing thirty feet of a bird when shooting left handed. Finally, due to cold, it was decided we could freeze to death before killing our final birds. So, the rule was relaxed and the limits finished.

IMG_0753.JPG

Day two, there were eight of us. I shared a blind with two good friends who I don't get to see enough while always gone filming the TV show. The guy on the right makes regular appearances in photos with lots of dead fowl, as evidenced by his appearances in some of Nemont's late season photos.

IMG_0776.JPG

It was a "full flaps" kind of day. Always have great luck hunting with this hat. Probably because if the weather is so bad to require that hat, it is probably the kind of day that will be good hunting, assuming I am tough enough to stay out there.

IMG_0779.JPG

I know a guy who makes some great specialty meats from waterfowl. We took all these birds to him and it will make a great batch of good vittles. Camera guys ate all of my last stuff, so I am in need of some replenishment.

Was one of those years when the right combination of cold, but not too much snow, kept ducks in our valley. If Home Depot would allow you to hunt their property, there were at least 200 greenheads in their quarter-acre spring-fed slough when I drove by earlier today. A neighbor to my north has a small spring-fed creek, not more than four feet across and I pulled over on my way home to watch mallards pour in there by the dozens for five minutes. Not sure how many mallards are in this valley right now, but more than I ever remember for January.

Time for some trade show travel, then on to the big shaggy.

Very nice. Tell Pat that doesn't look like late season duck hunting without having to take a freezing Jet Boat ride:D

That is going out in style.

Nemont

Very nice looking birds. Sure makes me miss duck hunting right now....

Nice finish, Finn. I couldn't stand it, so I went out for the last hour of the last day to two public sections with spring creeks. I had a chance for a triple while jump shotting but missed my last shot. the second section already had five hunters on it. But I too had a nice finish to the season.

Beautiful looking drakes! I got out last week, and we fought a tough wind. Got lots of looks, but the birds didn't like the way they had to circle to land. The dog got some good work and had a super retrieve where he was breaking ice to get to the drake.

Two days on the docket next week!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back