MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

MT Public land Mule Deer Locations

knapper

This will be my first time hunting Montana and also my first time hunting Mule deer. I've been looking at three diffrent spots. Ft. Peck near crooked creek, Custer Forest Ashland district and also Sioux district. I was planning on hunting the opening week do to the fact thats when I can get time off from work. It will be my self 3 brother-in-laws and father in law. I was hoping for a area with larger populations rather then trophy bucks. I was looking more to the east because of travel and weather. We plan on roughing it with dome tents and tarps but I'm sure a few days into are trip my party will be missing a shower and soft beds. Any advice would be great! Even if you know of a cheap cabin to stay at or a good hotel for a night to get that shower. Thanks Ryan

In NY, there are probably 2-5 deer on that 50 ac... too

You'll have all sorts of company, and the deer density is about 5 per square mile.

There isn't much out in that part of the state, few towns and fewer motels. Your tent will probalby be nicer than most of the motels.

The first week can be HOT, but you'll have first crack at the deer. Any of the spots you have chosen will be about as good as anything in the state. You'll see deer, the bucks will probably be sporadic that early, but you'll have a fun hunt.

Good luck

No preferance? Hows CMR for hunting pressure the first week of rifle season

Since it only open half the season... you have twice as much pressure. ;)

If you are worried about hunting pressure I'd sugest you lease a ranch or get in on a trespass fee. Hunting season in MT is a friggn zoo, especially in the eastern part of the state. The first and last weeks being the worst.

CMR has good numbers but gets pounded. You'll see a lot of 2 and 3 year old bucks. My buddies hunted it hard the past 2 seasons and had tales of passing up to 20-30 bucks a trip...all spindly 2's, 3's and 4's. After many days hunting each season, they managed 3 bucks in 2 years all 130 to 140 inch muleys, the best they saw.

You may want to call the CMR and ask about the condition of the Crooked Creek road. Also you need to be aware that there was signficant winter kill around Fort Peck. Not saying don't come but just that you will see fewer critters than there were there in years past.

You will not have any area to yourself and the opening day of rifle I avoid anywhere around the CMR like the plague. Opening weekend will look like a parade of vehicles towing gear, boats and campers out into that area. You need to have a game plan and be familiar with your map.

If you choose Crooked Creek my advice is to bring along extra spare tires, extra gas and make sure everyone has something to read or another way to pass the time. If it rains you will just be there and you cannot even walk in that country if it is wet.

Nemont

I've been spending the last few days up near the CMR (near crooked creek) working with a rancher. I hate to be a neigh sayer but we haven't seen boo for deer lately. I've hunted this area before and it gets pounded by hunters from all over the country. Nothing record book up there but respectable if you don't pop the first forkhorn you see. Bring extras of everything because the roads get greasy and eat up tires with their jagged rocks. Crooked creek is a solid hour from Winnett which has gas...usually. I'd leave the ATV at home because the BLM trails are closed in the fall anyway.

There is a LOT of grass and nearly every reservior is to the top. Things are getting really crunchy right now so being sneaky is probably not an option.

Thanks Again everyone! Man I can't tell you how many phone calls I've made over the past year to MT fish and Game and CMR. I'm really trying to do as much research as I can so that everyone enjoy them selves. What about Block Management? Does anyone know when the 2011 list comes out? Can anyone tell me more about "Trespass Fee"

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back