Caribou Gear

MT Mule Deer in Big Trouble...

Poaching is definitely a problem...

I am not sure why there wasn't a good harvest (or even if that is true) because I also so more muleys this year than ever. I could have shot at least 30 bucks this year...and that was ALL while elk hunting, not even targeting deer. I have also seen a LOT of posts where people have had phenomenal mule deer hunts this year...

The fact that there was NO check station up on last Saturday in Gardiner makes me wonder what FWP is even trying to accomplish.

We need mandatory reports like ID has...

I can tell you that the Bridger's are nothing like back in High School and I believe this year is the fewest deer numbers that I have seen on them. I'm thinking high cat numbers coupled with outrageous does tags are hurting this unit. I know there's still a handful of lunkers.

Any suggestions where I should try to burn my 8 points for next year?

Regarding poaching...is it a real problem in MT? I honestly don't know how bad it is up there which is why I ask. Is poaching particularly bad in other western states? Some NV LEOs have said it wasn't too bad this year.

It's epidemic here. We are producing mature mule deer and people can't behave. I can only speak for my little neck of the woods.

It's epidemic here. We are producing mature mule deer and people can't behave. I can only speak for my little neck of the woods.

It certainly doesn't help to have mule deer tags on a draw in some of the most-hunted elk units around. Too many people exposed to too much temptation.

That is a good point Belly... And there are also a number of guys in there elk hunting that dont even realize its a deer draw....

Bart....I have no idea man... I think a guy about has to do the 270 thing though....

Any suggestions where I should try to burn my 8 points for next year?

Colorado

There's a ton of guys sitting in the same spot as you, and the sad thing is there's really only two units worth burning points on. So the draw odds keep plummeting in those two units.

Mule deer permits are really effed up in my opinion. In ten years there's going to be lots of people with 20 points still in the exact same situation.

There's just too few options for too many applicants.

It's ridiculous looking at some of the draw odds, some of these 10% units around Missoula really aren't much better than a lot of general units.

Colorado

There's a ton of guys sitting in the same spot as you, and the sad thing is there's really only two units worth burning points on. So the draw odds keep plummeting in those two units.

Mule deer permits are really effed up in my opinion. In ten years there's going to be lots of people with 20 points still in the exact same situation.

There's just too few options for too many applicants.

It's ridiculous looking at some of the draw odds, some of these 10% units around Missoula really aren't much better than a lot of general units.

Maybe we'd be better off putting the archery and rifle hunts on separate draws? That wouldn't fix the problem completely. Or mandate that you must hunt MD in the same region you put in for, with your general tag, if you don't draw a specific unit? I bet that would cut the region 2 apps in half...think about it...how many people would want to be stuck to the few general tag units in region 2 for mule deer every year if they are unsuccessful in drawing a unit with 1% odds?

Its a bit too convienent now...everybody can wish on a 270 tag and still head east for a 20" 3x4 if they don't draw. I think making the "wishing" a little more costly (not necessarily in the form of $$) would make people think twice when they fill out their apps.

Maybe we'd be better off putting the archery and rifle hunts on separate draws? That wouldn't fix the problem completely. Or mandate that you must hunt MD in the same region you put in for, with your general tag, if you don't draw a specific unit? I bet that would cut the region 2 apps in half...think about it...how many people would want to be stuck to the few general tag units in region 2 for mule deer every year if they are unsuccessful in drawing a unit with 1% odds?

Its a bit too convienent now...everybody can wish on a 270 tag and still head east for a 20" 3x4 if they don't draw. I think making the "wishing" a little more costly (not necessarily in the form of $$) would make people think twice when they fill out their apps.

Yeah I don't know how they're going to fix it. They could make more mule deer units permit only, or make the unlimited units with a set number. They could also start making more whitetail areas permit only, but that means taking away general tag opportunity.

I don't even know if they need to fix it, I just feel bad for the out of stater's that pick an area with ten percent odds, draw it, and then are really let down by the quality of the hunt.

One other thing that bothers me is that there's guys that consistently pass on mature whitetail, and end up shooting 140 inch mule deer. I'm kind of calling the kettle black on this after the buck I killed this year...

I don't even know if they need to fix it, I just feel bad for the out of stater's that pick an area with ten percent odds, draw it, and then are really let down by the quality of the hunt.

I guess that is the crux of the matter; most of our draw units aren't even worth drawing.

I'm also not sure why they limit you to a unit once you draw it. They don't do that with elk. It seems to me that if you could hunt your draw unit and the whole rest of the general units in the state, people would be more likely to pass on a small buck and let them grow big. As it stands, I think a lot of people draw a unit they know little about, are disappointed by the deer quality, and have no choice but to drill a young buck if they want to fill their muley tag.

Of course, that wouldn't do a darn thing to stop the poaching in the better units, nor would it reduce the deer kill by tag holders. It might make our "ok" draw units better hunting though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back