Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

MT Elk, hunt with daypack or frame pack

huntfishcamp

hey all, its season #2 for me and will be hunting from a wall tent near road at mountain top this year, and did same last year so I used a small daypack with hydration but when i finally downed an elk i had wished i had my frame pack..only issue is that its an internal frame and it weighs about 8 lbs. It did work well to haul out the meat (3 miles in, 1500 ' below the truck) but i could have hauled more out the first trip back, was only able to take about 40 lbs out initially and hung the rest for day 2.

Question: You prefer internal or external frame packs for elk hunting, any particular brand, and do you hunt all day with it, or keep it in the vehicle for trip #2 if you down something. The lighter daypack was easier to haul around all day, guess its a tradeoff... not sure what the best thing to do is though.....

Last edited:
ahhh...the age old question...well it may be....I generally start the season with my big pack but by the second week I'm down to my day pack

For me it all depends on my expectations for the hunt.

Have a cow tag in good country I know well...you can bet I'm carrying a meat-hauler

Looking for a good bull (or buck) with the expectation of passing on a number of smaller ones? I'll take a light pack and worry about getting it out of the hills once its down.

Also, I ALWAYS have a meat-hauler on my back the last day of a hunt so I can get something out faster if I have to head back home the next day.

thanks good advice, any advise for a rookie on what items are "must have" or 'nice to have" for a daypack, and when you have your meat hauler?

With never knowing where something might go down, 1/2 mile or 8 miles from the truck, I always carry my internal frame Eberlestock J34. I hate the idea of gradually hunting further and further away, and possibly killing something a few miles back, and not being able to take a significant load back the first trip. It just has the possibility of being a severe waste of time and energy to me. Running around with a 20-30 pound pack everywhere I go doesn't bother me, and I assume it leaves me slightly more ready to carry more when I need it...

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avidcork
Back