Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Mounting my own Scope

RugerHawg413

I have always had a gunsmith mount my scopes, but my gunsmith passed away. So, I decided to do it on my own. I did my research and bought good scope mounts, rings, and scopes. I degreased (using 91% rubbing alcohol) the scope mount, scope rings, and all of the screws. I torqued all the screws (using a torque wrench) to the in/lbs that the manufactuer said to. I put blue loctite on the scope base screws only and put some FrogLube on in between the scope base and the rifle. I just wanted to know if I did a good job or not.? Thanks!

Sounds like you did alright to me. I've always mounted my own and aside from the first time I tried, I haven't had an issue. The biggest thing is making sure the scope rings are tight enough, but not too tight. If you crank them it can damage the scope and makes the magnification adjuster difficult to turn. If they're too loose, you'll never get a good group. Also, I've had issues with leveling the reticle, but that's just a matter of being meticulous.

Sounds like you did everything pretty well, if you shoot and it holds zero I think you can chalk it up to a job well done. Gunsmiths like @BcGunworks can chime in and tell me I'm full of it, but from working on trucks I was always told to have grease or lube on bolts/screws when torquing something down to be more accurate so it's what I always do. Might be hogwash.

Sounds like you did everything pretty well, if you shoot and it holds zero I think you can chalk it up to a job well done. Gunsmiths like @BcGunworks can chime in and tell me I'm full of it, but from working on trucks I was always told to have grease or lube on bolts/screws when torquing something down to be more accurate so it's what I always do. Might be hogwash.
By me not putting grease or lube on the bolts/screws and using rubbing alcohol, will the bolts/screws rust? Thanks!

Possibly, but I'm not sure if it would even be something to worry about depending on coatings and what kind of steel they were made with. I'd let someone more knowledgeable chime in, I'm just a diy'er.

IMO you want metal on metal. Rust can cause functional movement over time, lubrication is made to cause movement over time. Exterior rust on screw caps and rings surfaces is no big deal. My two cents. If you're really worried about moisture in base or ring screws, you can seal with clear nail polish after you get it torqued up to your preference.

I wouldn't worry about it, if you go to the range a couple times and it holds zero forget about it and just shoot it with confidence.

I have always had a gunsmith mount my scopes, but my gunsmith passed away. So, I decided to do it on my own. I did my research and bought good scope mounts, rings, and scopes. I degreased (using 91% rubbing alcohol) the scope mount, scope rings, and all of the screws. I torqued all the screws (using a torque wrench) to the in/lbs that the manufactuer said to. I put blue loctite on the scope base screws only and put some FrogLube on in between the scope base and the rifle. I just wanted to know if I did a good job or not.? Thanks!

Guarantee you did it better than my first scope install...

Beside the prep and properly torquing screws, I think most issues have to do with alignment. Ensuring the scope is aligned with the barrel. Given variation of rings and bases, not always easy to ensure. You can adjust the scope for a specific distance and be spot on, yet quite a bit off at other distances.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back