Mossberg Patriot Rifles?

I got one in 243 and ordered a wood stock when I got home. Shot really good right out of the box and ept shooting good with the wood sock. Led me to buying a second Partiot. One thing I don't care for is the plastic bedding in the action but so far it shoots fine. Prolem with that plastic bedding is I like to really tighten down the action screws, doesn't work. it's made to take 25# torque and then the plastic trigger guard falls apart! But also wouldn't stop me from buying another!

I have a wood stocked patriot in 308. A problem with them is the plastic bedding and the front action screw is blind threaded. Mine the screw bottomed out without tightening the action in the stock. The bolt is really loose in the action and the trigger sucks. Quite often it won't pick up a round from the magazine which is probably the worst I've seen.

I shortened the action screw and replaced the trigger with a timney. After that it's about 2moa.
For the money there's better options, mainly Savage and Ruger.

My son’s first rifle was a Patriot in 308 with plastic stock. I never cared for it. Shot OK, but not great. Just felt cheap. He now shoots a Tikka. Far superior IMO.

Don't own any of the low end bolt action rifles that fill all the box stores, but as far as the lower cost rifles go ...... Savage, Remington, Mossberg, Ruger, etc.
I think Mossberg looks to be built as well or better than the rest.

Anyone have experience with the Mossberg Patriot rifles? They look nice and seem to be a great value.
I have a mossberg patriot predator in 6.5CM that shoots sub-moa with the ammunition it likes, Federal Fusion in 140grain. With it, I can ring steel at 600 yards consistently. For the money, I have found mine to be an excellent value, I paid sub $300 for it a few years back. I would highly recommend one to someone looking for a budget rifle that they aren’t afraid to hunt hard with.

I was hitting orange clays at 100 first try every time with my mossburg patriot in .308. It definitely is kinda finicky with different loads but the last box of 160 gn seems to stay true…
I’ve shot several deer as did my wife with it, and 2 elk. If your buddy is selling it cheap, sure. From the store, New?? Don’t!

Mine has the plasticish polymer stock and as soon as I put a bipod on it, the little eyelet broke and I have had trouble finding a new stock ever since. I got it for $300 five years ago probably. It’s likely seen THOUSANDS of rounds so spending anything outrageous on a such a cheap rifle seems like a poor investment, in MY situation. Just my .02

I've got a patriot in 30-06 with a maple stock. It's definitely not a top shelf rifle but it does shoot well. I changed the stock scope rings and have tried a few different loads through it. Honestly, it loves the cheaper corelokt loads. I've even shot wolf steel rounds with it. The bolt could be tighter, but I bought this gun to abuse it. I trekked with this thing through the desert 2 years ago looking for a mulie. Ended up getting cold and a bit rainy, gun still looks great and shoots well.

Last edited:
I will tell you that we have gotten 35-50% of the ones we have sold back for warranty work. They have some nice features in some of the set ups but truly to be a "great or horrible" gun. Also, Mossberg service on them seems to be spotty. A couple of hundreds bucks more and you can get into a really nice gun.

At that price point Savage Axis II with a few upgrades is much more likely to be accurate. There are several YouTube video reviews of the Patriot. Some worked fine, some flung wide groups. If I were to buy one, I wouldn’t gamble on a new rifle. I’d get a used one with verified accuracy.

Thanks for the replies. Overall, this appears to be a case of "you get what you pay for" and "if it seems too good to be true, it probably is". For a $500 gun, I didn't expect the quality that my Mark V's, Super Grade's, X Bolt's, 700 LSS's, (and others) have to offer, but was hoping for something better. I am still thinking of picking up something in 7mm-08, for all that I have heard about this caliber.

Last edited:
I bought a patriot for my son a couple years ago in 7mm-08, and have few complaints. The scope it came with isn't great, but it works. I got the youth model which came with a spacer to adjust the length of pull. I really like that option, although after a year of using the rifle he is big enough that he needs the spacer. My daughter will use it this year with the shortened LOP, so happy about that. For what I paid for it and for how much it gets shot, I have no regrets. I did put a new scope on it this year. It doesn't like the factory loaded Hornady cx's though.

The wife has a Patriot Super Bantam in 6.5 ThunderC*nt. Great shooting little carbine sized rifle. Used it out to 650 yards without issue. It shoots sub-MOA with Hornady eld-x bullets.
I grab it about 90% of the time when I'm riding around the farm expecting to see coyotes or hogs. Wife is cross eyed dominate so I tossed a Holosun red dot on there for her. Weights next to nothing.
Light, handy, shoots well, and it was cheap enough that I don't mind banging it up on the quad or SxS. What's not to love?

I also own a wood stocked version in 308 but it's been loaned out to my 86 year old Nana for a while now (I didn't ask her why she wanted it - when Nana asks for a gun you take Nana a gun ya know? She asked for it in particular).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back